What happens when a carer dies?

Within the next 10 years, I am likely to become a full-time carer for my autistic younger brother. He is a decade younger so it’s likely that I will die before him. He is physically able but there is no possibility for him to live or make decisions independently on his future.

I guess I am wondering what would happen to him after I died assuming he has no other relative or friend who can care for him and there is no ‘plan’ in place?

Further, if anyone could offer some guidance in preparation for the time, it would be so much appreciated :smiley:

Thank you and I hope everyone is well!

Andre

The question you should seriously ask is do you want to be his carer?

What is the current situation.

Are you currently involved in looking after him . If so could you deal with this on a full tume basis?

Has he had a needs assesment from social services?

When a carer dies it is the responsibility of adult services to find suitable accomodation and support.

Far better though to plan the support as early as possible and do the transition whilst you are still around to help settle him in.

Andre, NOW is the time to start finding a new place for him to live. My son had to move to boarding school when he was 16 because was very I’ll. Now 41, he is in his own flat with carer support. He loves his flat. Whilst he can only come home for a few days at a time, I’ve been able to help him have everything he needs.
You must ask Social Services to do a Needs Assessment first, so they know he will need a new home in the future. Is he currently claiming PIP?

Hi Andre,
I agree with BB and Cloudygal, it would be better to start planning for when you aren’t around to care for him now. Research what is available and decide which would suit him best, using your knowledge of him. Get him settled in supported living/group home etc now, whilst you are still able to support him with the transition and around to ensure the service know his needs and how to meet them.

Melly1

Living away from home doesn’t mean abandonment, it means he has a life of his own, with friends his own age, but at the same time visiting family regularly. I am so proud of the way my son keeps his flat, it’s so neat and tidy. He has a little garden that he can mow, with an apple tree, garden table and chairs to sit outside. He can do his own washing and drying. He can’t read write or count, so needs lots of help but has many abilities as well as disabilities.