Unpaid carers - Covid vaccine

I have been the sole carer to my disabled mother for many years now. I am registered with my GP as a carer and am offered the flu jab etc.

However, because I don’t claim carers allowance the GP is insisting that I am not eligible for the Covid jab in group 6 unless I ring Adult Services at the local council and they provide me with a letter confirming that I am a carer.

I rang the council who said that someone would get back to me at some point but they weren’t sure when or how long this would take, as they weren’t sure what the doctors needed.

I have sent the template letter from the Carers UK website but I’m at a loss as to what to do next.

Does anyone have any advice please? Thanks in advance.

Good morning Clare

You are in group/cohort 6

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-30-december-2020/joint-committee-on-vaccination-and-immunisation-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination-30-december-2020

1. all individuals aged 16 years[footnote 2] to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality[footnote 3]

This also includes those who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill. :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:

Copy the info and sent it to your G.P. practice.

This is dependant that your surgery is at group 6 for vaccinations.

My G.P. surgery display on there web site. Which category is being done.

Otherwise ring 119 and state the above

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/44/carers-removed-from-vaccine-list-42910?start=70&p=440888#p440888

Thanks Sunnydisposition. I’m really struggling with the doctor’s position on this. I’m registered with them as a carer and they offer me the flu vaccine so clearly they accept I’m a carer and I am recorded as such on their systems.

It’s just the fact that they are refusing to put me forward for vaccination without a letter from the council that is worrying me. Who knows how long this will take. If I am ill then there is nobody to look after my mother.

I’ve telephoned 119 and they refused to help saying that group 6 was being done by GP surgeries.

I sent a request to my Mayor and NHS. It took a few days but I am down for next week.

Hi Clare.
I had my vaccine last Wednesday by quoting NHS C1124. This document includes a brilliant section on adult carers which says it all! One wonders if your GP Manager has read this even though it was sent to GPs on Feb 13th!Carers do not have to be in receipt of any payment to have the jab!
Keep asking. Good luck!