This is important idea please

,hi all my wife went into a&e this was a bad experience for her that was 5 days ago .I found out today that she dus not trust the hospital now which means I do most of whet is needed so I got a meeting with the ward manager any idea how we could go forward ajay

Hi Ajay … the local PALS team springs to mind :

What is PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service)? - NHS
__

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) offers confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters. They provide a point of contact for patients, their families and their carers.

You can find officers from PALS in your local hospital.

I hope things pan out well … eventually.

Ajay - hi, can you tell us a little more about the current situation? Have you met with the ward manager yet? What did they say?

I cant seem to post

Jenny is this working now

Yes, your post has appeared on the forum, so hopefully it’s working!

Tell us a little more of what you are dealing with, and we can see if the collective experience of the forum members can show you a good or at least better way forward for you. Plus there are the official experts at Carers UK too.

Ok Jenny here we go sue went into a&e at 22.15 she has copd not breathing well so after not much dun at 4 am with o2 sat dropping and bp rising the dr said to take her home tamp at that time was -3 I said no any I think it up set and for the first 4 days I had to do everything for her but now just wash and dress her until today when she did it for herself

So, do you think she is slowly getting better at home? But surely you should not be doing everything for her on your own - the hospital not sort out to have carers coming in every day?

Hospitals cannot just ‘send people home’ without a proper care package being set up. you should NOT have to cope on your own at home!

Others here know more than me about what to do next, ie, to get something organised for your wife so you are not coping entirely on your own.

May be it me put it wrong sue is still in hospital at mo I was going in 4 times a day and there will be a carer package put in place when she comes out I do not know whet a carer package is

Perhaps the BIBLE on hospital discharges will be relevant here ?

Being discharged from hospital - NHS

Usual caveat … NOT by the book , NO discharge !

BIBLE??

Yep … chapter and verse … spells out exactly who should be doing what … no room for any transgressors … courtesy of the NHS.

One of the very few out there which is both concise and fairly simple to understand … by all parties involved.

If this lady was in A&E, (for just a few hours as far as I can make out) then isn’t it safe to say she hasn’t been “admitted” to hospital and therefore can’t be discharged - unsafely or otherwise?

The only way to find out for sure would be to check with the hospital in question.

The Data Protection Act may be a barrier if such informartion was sought by a third party.

Ajay - so far as I know, if someone arrives at A&E, and is taken in to A&E, they either have to be discharged (sent home) within four hours (that’s the government rule), or they have to be admitted to hospital (or maybe sent to another hospital, or to a nursing home). They are not allowed to stay in A&E itself.

So I assume your wife is now in a ‘normal hospital ward’? Is that right?

Can I also assume that English is not your first language??? Would I be correct in that/ (Sorry if that’s not so!). I say that because IF English is not your first language, then you should be entitled to have a translator/interpretor offered to you by the hospital so that you can use them to discuss and understand the treatment and discharge plan with the doctors and nurses. it’s important of course for both you and your wife to be very clear about what will, and will not, be offered - and whether you and your wife think that is good enough.

Believe me, it’s hard enough for those whose mother-tongue is English to have a clear and unambiguous - and jargon-free! - conversation with social workers etc!

Whether or not English is or is not your first language, it can be very helpful to have ‘someone else’ with you - eg, a friend or relative - to come with you to the hospital to share those discussions. A ‘second ear’ can be very helpful. Sometimes we ourselves are so ‘upset’ that we don’t ask questions we should be asking.

I can remember myself, vividly, how difficult it was when my husband was in hospital and he was ‘out of it’ and couldn’t participate in any discussions I had about when he could come home, and so on - I felt very ‘alone and isolated’. it would have been good to have had someone ‘beside me’ to support me at the time.

PS - the term ‘Bible’ in this context is simply to say it ‘holds the truth’!!! Doesn’t imply anything religious!!!

Ok I’m getting every one confused it’s my dyxlaser dus not help
Right sue 999 to a&e to ward 9 days ago so when she discharge she dus not trust the hospital now how can I get her to trust them as the dr at a&e got it wrong for 12 hours

Ah OK - dyslexia explains it! :slight_smile:

Trust is a tricky thing - I suppose it is important for patients to understand that doctors do their best, but they are not 100% all the time. The doctors need to admit that too!

Your wife should be entitled to a referral to another consultant - sometimes it can help by searching the internet to find health forums for those with similar medical conditions as your wife, to see what members there suggest, and maybe even a suitable consultant.

dyslexia word blindness can’t read and write well