Support from ex employers?

Hello everyone. I am just pondering workplace practises and the idea of me eventually going back into the work force. I read from so many of you, that like me, becoming a full time carer robs you of so many skills built up over decades - confidence, skills knowledge, contacts and associate relationships etc. I have read about EFC - Employers for Carers - and wonder what experiences anyone has had of that organisation or how previous employers treated you and possibly support you to get back to work. I just feel very nervous and anxious about getting back in the saddle so to speak - it will only be for a couple of days a week max and the earnings will not even begin to cover my care costs but I feel I really need to do this for my mental health and sense of self. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

1 Like

You might find this factsheet from Carers UK main website helpful

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/work-and-career/thinking-of-returning-to-work/

and this one about EFC (which Carers UK support)
https://www.carersuk.org/for-professionals/support-for-employers/employers-for-carers/

@maryclare I can relate to your post. I would love to work part time but it is so hard to juggle with a non compliant husband who is nearly 85. Would vol work be an option? It might be worth looking into. I totally hate the lack of prestige being a Carer and even refer to myself as ‘Little Drudge’ yet this is what I feel like. I was a person once and worked in the fashion business and did a lot of media work plus I also wrote for cat magazines. I totally understand that for YOUR self esteem you need to do something. Otherwise confidence just drains away.

Sorry not answered your question but just wanted you to know I can sympathise with how you feel.

I have to say the charity I work for is extremely good. It’s not perfect by all means but they are very compassionate and have excellent flexible working for carers. Another woman in the organisation was helping her mum care for her father up north and she got a mix of flexible working and reduced her hours for a period of time when she really needed it. I have told my manager what is happening with me as my husband has needed more and more support as his Parkinson’s has progressed. And I can be flexible… I don’t have to come into the office the 2 days a week they usually expect… but can work from home as much as I need.

When the time comes, I am 100% sure I can take leave … if for instance I ever need to settle him into a care home but for now, I’m prefer not to have time off as I find work a welcome distraction from caring. I also don’t want to formally reduce my hours as I’m the main breadwinner but also, I’m the type of person who would check her emails on her day off so I would rather not reduce my pay just to check emails or worry about my team!

Thats really heartening to hear - lets hope other business’s adopt this policy.

I don’t know about the EFC thing but voluntary work will help you get your confidence back and then the world is your oyster.

I had to take time off from work when my Mum’s husband got diagnosed with cancer. I did go back to work part time soon after but had lost all my confidence looking after him. When things got a bit better, one of my friends told me about “mystery shopping” - you act out scenarios in stores and supermarkets etc. I used to do that one day per month and it really helped me get my confidence back. 2.5 days a week I worked, one day a week was at the hospital for his chemo, and the rest was running around, cooking and cleaning. It really robbed me of any confidence I had.

Best wishes,

Hi @maryclare and everyone

There are some new initiatives trying to give more power to job seekers, these days. Here is one that seems to walk the talk on connecting those seeking work, with companies who have flexible-working policies.
have a look around: https://flexa.careers/
I’m not affiliated to them in any way. I was exploring & researching this last year

There are many more companies recognising the need for flexibility to find, keep and nurture talent.

1 Like