New carer here with health problems

Hi. I’ve not long joined. I’m Elisa. I’ve recently became carer to my mum who I live with. She is diabetic with bad mobility problems. I myself have kidney failure and lung problems. I attended dialysis 3 nights a week at hospital for 4 hours each time. I’ve been on dialysis 9 years now and I’m not suitable for a transplant. My mum has been in and out hospital recently with really high blood sugars and falling. I was visiting her and then having dialysis as she was in the same hospital i get my dialysis at.

Hi Elisa.
Welcome to the Forum. I’m really sorry to hear that you are spending 3 nights at hospital as well as caring for your mum who has been in and out of hospital. Supporting a loved one and maintaining our own wellbeing can be a lot to handle at times.
You say you have recently become a carer to your mum. Your GP may be able to suggest additional support available for you in your carer role.
There’s also some information on CarersUK website which may be useful. Have you seen the ‘Upfront’ Guide https://www.carersuk.org/upfront/
Maybe other forum members have ideas too.

Hi Elisa,

This is a dreadful situation, which cannot be allowed to continue.

If you can give us a bit more information, I hope we can help. Excuse the briefness of the questions, I’m supposed to be doing something else.
How old is mum?
As she has been in and out of hospital recently, they should have arranged a package of care for her, before discharge. This should have included a Carers Assessment for you. Did this happen?
Does mum claim Attendance Allowance?
Get any help at all from Social Services?
Have an Oyster Lifeline/Falls Alarm?
Get much support from the GP or District Nurse?
Does mum own, or rent, her home?
Have over £23,000 in savings?
Do you have Power of Attorney?

Now the question I want you to be totally honest about. Your answer, NOT what mum does/does not want!
Do you want to keep caring for mum, or is it time residential care was considered?