Need advice

Hi all,
I find myself at a bit of a loss, I am a carer for my son that has serve ADHD/autism also my eldest son that has autism and my wife that has me/fibromialger, I’m facing the prospect of having to give up work and am struggling with finances and just getting through the day. Can I claim carers allowance for more than one person?
Thanks in advance of any advice you can give.

If you care for more than one person, you must choose which person you claim for, as you can only get one payment of Carer’s Allowance. Similarly, if you share the caring role with another person, and you both provide at least 35 hours of care every week, only one of you can claim Carer’s Allowance.

You maybe entitled to other benefits - do a benefits check.

Hi David,
I care for one person with autism and that is enough! You have a heavy care-load. Does your family receive any outside support? As Sunnydisposition says, you can only claim Carer’s Allowance for one of your carers. However, you wife (despite her own health issues) may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance for one of your sons too.

Before giving up your job, look at the Upfront guide or the another benefits calculator and do your sums. Could you reduce your hours or go part time instead? Make sure your family are getting outside support too. Giving up work totally not only has financial repercussions but many carers who are used to working, find it affects their wellbeing too.