Moving area and accessing Council properties

I care for my husband, his health is greatly affect by weather, dry hot weather he feels really well and can get away with less medication, we live in a council property in greater manchester in a lovely area but it’s very humid and wet most of the time.
We are thinking maybe it could be possible to try and move further south near London where the weather is hotter and drier.

I have looked into house swapping but no one seems to want to move north. Some housing associations won’t take on new clients.
I know you need to live in London approx 5 years before you can join council housing.

It is purely a medical issue in the reason we are thinking to move. Is there a medical exception or consideration that a housing company would allow us to enrol on there books as it were? Anyone know?

Try supported living.

HI Julia,

this is not something I have any knowledge of, although others on here might. In the meantime, I suggest you try the Carers Uk helpline

You can email us at > > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner. Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

or the CAB


Hi Julia

Housing associations all have their own criteria but are generally the same questions etc. It would help your applications if your husband has a social worker or O/T and/or the G.P. suggests the health benefits of moving property etc. What part of the country do you want to live. Do you require a garden etc.

You need to decide given your husband medical needs the type of housing you are seeking.

Most housing associations work with council for referrals. So you would/may need to be registered with local authority first.

The waiting list in the New Forest is at least 8 years long.

I don’t know anything about this, but why limit to London area where pollution is a risk and the cost of living higher?

Have you considered areas to the east that might be drier?

North Essex? Suffolk? Norfolk? If there are options to move there it could be less humid there too. Lincolnshire? Home counties?

Is the cold an issue? I wouldn’t recommend the north east coast due to cold winds especially in winter can be brutal.

You can apply to any Council you want but Housing Law states you have to have a local connection to get higher than the lowest banding. Local connection being an immediate family member who can support you, full time work etc. Failing that, you automatically get a local connection if you have been in that Council for 2 of the last 3 years. This may be different for London as you mentioned 5 years.

If you own the property you are living in, you will automatically get the lowest band regardless of where you want to move to even in the same authority. My Mum applied for a bungalow but was given Band 5 (lowest band) as she owns this house.

You can Google HA’s in London and apply to as many as you want that are taking applications but realistically, you will be waiting about 30+ years unless it’s a really nasty area where no one wants to live.