Hospital Stay

Our 31 yr old son, (who has Down’s syndrome), was rushed to hospital, straight from our GP’s practice, on 11/09/2020 with breathing problems.
His mother who went with him in the ambulance was told she couldn’t stay in the hospital with him by the hospital staff.
My wife explained she couldn’t leave him on his own as he has no idea what was happening as he can’t talk and has the mental age equivalency of a 1 to 2 year old child, ( would you leave an infant in hospital on their own?).
The doctor’s were adamant, but my wife refused to leave him on his own, and as such stayed with him on the Corona Virus ward,
My son was given a Covid 19 test on admission, none on being sent home on 13/09/2020 and my wife, although being on the Corona Virus ward, no test was given at all!
Thankfully it was only an upper respiratory infection and not as we feared Covid 19.
Isn’t it time (as a so called caring society) that hospitals catered for the carers of people such as our son?
Instead of a 56 yr old woman having to sleep in a chair, couldn’t a put up bed be made available?
When younger, and our son had to stay hospital this wasn’t the case, because as a child there were beds available for parents of children.
Is it the same everywhere else in the country, when it comes to carers having to stay in hospitals as here in the North East of England?
I was watching tv, the other week and I’m pretty sure I heard Nicola Sturgeon award a small cash sum to unpaid carers in Scotland. I have no idea how much the sum was, but I thought to myself, “That is amazing, a politician that actually realises we exist”!

Jody,

I totally agree.

However this was also my experience once S was on a adult ward - and this wasn’t during Covid.

I couldn’t leave him and ended up with a dreadful migraine and was vomiting due to lack of food and sleep.

I then had to take him home and care for 24/7 whilst feeling very unwell myself.

Its a disgrace.

Melly1

Several years ago, on 1st August, a new initiative was launched looking at how to treat patients with special needs better in hospital. I remember the date well, as it was the day my son had teeth out under general anaesthetic, and they hadn’t got a clue about communicating with him. Fortunately I stayed, and interpreted. As his carer, I was a non entity, not even offered a cup of team or anything to eat. As soon as we left the ward we went to the coffee shop, and I was faint with hunger and thirst!!!