Help

Hello…many thanks for accepting me to group…
I am distraught witth family situation…my sisfter age 53 is in late stages of alzheimers…i noticed changes in 2015 but they put down to depression…she was a lawyer…im not her full time carer…her husband is fabulous an cares 24/7…my mental health array as i know journey…my mum had it aged 63…ive looked websites etc but cant really findvanything on alzheimers late stages…at this age…xx

That’s so young to have it, such a cruel disease.
I am not experienced in Alzheimers but please keep checking back for replies from other members.

You may find the Alzheimers society website and forum helpful too.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/?_adal_sd=www.alzheimers.org.uk.1661419445246&_adal_ca=so%3DLive%26me%3Dorganic%26ca%3D(not%2520set)%26co%3D(not%2520set)%26ke%3D(not%2520set).1661419445246&_adal_cw=1661419352216.1661419445246&_adal_id=9b44f1bc-0f20-4e64-b17a-260c069f0468.1661419352.2.1661419430.1661419352.3a80bf29-f3bd-4716-bd25-b7fd6275c03d.1661419445246&_ga=2.61055788.1201041007.1661419352-1500548821.1661419352

Hello Btenda

I wanted to wish you a warm welcome to the forum and to highlight some of the options for connecting with fellow carers and for getting support from Carers UK should you need it.

Carers UK are running online weekly meet ups for carers to take some time for themselves and chat to other carers. Feel free to join if you’d like to and there’s no pressure to share anything you don’t want to. I’m sure you’ll find others in a similar position to yourself.

You can find information on how to register to our online meetups at the following pages:

Care for a Cuppa: Online meetups | Carers UK
This social is a great way to have a little break if you are able to and spend some quality time talking to people who understand what you are going through right now.

Share and Learn: Share and Learn | Carers UK
These sessions range from creative writing activities to beginners Latin dance sessions.

There is also Carers UK’s helpline should you need advice or support - Our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)
They can help provide support and guidance on:

• Benefits and financial support
  • Your rights as a carer in the workplace
  • Carers’ assessments and how to get support in your caring role
  • Services available to carers and the people you care for
  • How to complain effectively and challenge decisions.
    With best wishes
    Ingrid

Hi and welcome

Welcome to the forum.
My sister in law developed dementia in her 60’s, so sad because she was one of the most organised people ever.
Your BIL needs all the help he can get, don’t let him burn out by trying to be Superman.
Has your sister had a Needs Assessment from Social Services, and your BIL, a Carers Assessment?
Has he claimed Attendance Allowance for her - not means tested. Once granted, your sister will be entitled to exemption from Council Tax due to “severe mental impairment”. A term I hate! It’s easy to claim.

Hi Btenda,

Welcome to the forum.

Alzheimer’s is such a cruel disease and it must be devastating that your sister now has it.

There is information here on https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-alzheimers/younger-early-onset
It seems to suggest that the stages of the disease are similar at any age; however a person with early onset Alzheimer’s will often generally be fitter and healthier for longer. There is a message board to, where you might find others with personal knowledge of early onset https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=topics&f=151 not all the information will be relevant as it is a USA board - but it might be good to place to start.

Melly1

Call the Alzheimer’s Society tomorrow morning first thing.

Hi Btenda

I hope when you have had time to absorb all the advice and look around the links posted that you can start to formulate your questions and make contact with the organisations who can help your sister, brother in law and yourself to do all the very best you can for your sisters care.