Hello friends. Newbie here

Hello friends and thank you for taking the time to look at my post. My name is Chris and I am new to this forum. I have joined to get some advice but I am not sure if I am in the right place so if I quickly outline my situation perhaps someone can advise me if it would be ok to post my questions in the appropriate section of this great forum. I am an only child and the last in the family line (unmarried with no children) so I have found myself in the position of being my mum’s carer (she is 87 and lives at home with me) and I am also deputy for both my aunt and uncle (both in care homes locally). I am looking to get some advice on some new care home issues that I am now faced with. So basically what I am asking is…is this forum for people who are actually caring for someone or am I permitted to ask questions about my relatives situation in a care home whom obviously I do not actually care for. Apologies if this is a bit of a daft question but I do not want to fall fowl of any forum rules before I have got out of the starting gates. :-???

Hi Chris,

welcome to the forum, thank you for introducing yourself.

You are still looking out for your auntie and uncle and that counts as caring too! Just because they have moved into a care home doesn’t mean you have stopped caring for them. Looking after their best interests, whilst caring for your Mum who lives with you - that’s a lot of caring!

Take a look around the forum and start any new threads - the mods will move them if they are in the wrong place. Alternatively, post your questions on this thread that you have started.

Melly1

Thank you for the reply Melly1 . Thats really great to know. I will spend some time looking around and then post my questions.

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

Caring changes when someone is in hospital or care home, but it certainly doesn’t end! We are also a forum for former carers, a period of huge adjustment.

Can I ask what does mum need help with?
Do you have Power of Attorney?
Who owns the house where you live?

Are aunt and uncle self funding, or LA funded?

Welcome and hello!

Can you tell us a bit more about mom? What is the nature of her impairment, is it a physical or cognitive one? Is she on any benefits or not?