Full time carer and qualifying benefits

Not sure where to start with this really!

So we had someone come out from CAB to apply for qualifying benefits for my husband at the same time he told me I would be entitled to Carers Allowance, which he applied for on my behalf. My husbands benefits have been sorted and have been running along nicely for several years now, up until lately everything has been fine. I applied for a POA for my husband which was granted, now I have to document what his money is being spent on so basically he is alright as he has his benefits but I’m having to live on what I get from CA (as we all know is not enough).

I phoned the DWP and spoke to someone who said that I’d have to apply for Universal Credit, but would have to provide evidence that I was actively seeking employment. I explained that I provide 1:1 support (for a person who could not be left alone) 160 hours a week (we only get 8 hours support from a support agency - 2 hours a day for 4 days).

This all fell on deaf ears, there was no compromise or alternative given so I’ve just stuck with the CA but surely there must be some other support/benefit? I don’t even qualify for help with prescription cost etc even though the person I spoke to, from NHS business services, agreed that I had very little income, the reason I don’t get help … because I don’t get a qualifying benefit!

Hope you don’t mind but what have others done with regards to this?

Thanks

Hi Cheechee.

A little perplexed.

If you are only claiming Carers Allowance and NOT any income related benefits , UC would NOT apply to you.

In addition , you are NOT obliged to seek work ( DWP … only applies IF you are claiming ESA ).

Howver , following review of the UC rollout , carers may now be included … item in the NEWS section recently.

To save confusion , contact the Carers UK Advice Team for claification.

Contact details follow … best by email :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/carer-disability-benefits/how-to-contact-the-carers-uk-adviceline-24147

Guru ?

You should see my Indian rope trick !

Primed and loaded … ready to deliver … if asked !

Time ?

No choice … I was press ganged !

I have to growl for my supper !

Still , might help a few today … only me around for hours over the past two days … and that’s worrying !

( Sole person on the door with a queue ten deep at times. )

What impression does that give to new posters seeking help / advice / guidance ???

SORRY CHEECHEE … BACK TO THREAD !

Hi Cheechee,
The Carers Uk helpline and benefit calculators like the “entitled to” one are the best ones to get benefits advice.

However, I’m pretty sure POA doesn’t mean your husband can’t continue paying for all the things he did before, you are a partnership and things he paid for before he can carry on paying for now E.g. did he pay the bills? Give you housekeeping money? etc Just keep accounts. If you started buyin lots of expensive jewellery out of his money, that would be a different matter. Use your Carers Allowance for toiletries, little extras, a coffee in a cafe etc

Melly1

One online benefits calculator coming up :

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/