CHC funding question

hi

We are currently considering applying for CHC funding for my mother. she currently receives home care which is subsidised by the council and she makes contributions to that each month via a means tested basis. We have passed the initial check for eligibility for CHC funding, but we were told there may be a recommendation by the CHC panel when doing the assessment that moving into a residential home is whats best for her care needs. Which would be against her wishes.

My question is, once we have set the CHC funding application in process and if say in a worst case scenario she is approved but they recommend residential care, apart from the appeal process what are our options to ensure she remains in her own home? can we simply turn it down and remain with the council subsidised care?

We are worried we could compromise or loose the home care option we currently have via the council and go down a path of no return. Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks

James

Hi James

I suggest you call our helpline about this, they should be able to answer your questions. You can contact them on:

0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or by email advice@carersuk.org

Best wishes

Jane

This is bad advice. Google “CHC Barbara Poynton case”. Might be Pointon.
Barbara was featured in a Panorama programme some years ago, fought for the right for her husband to have care at home with her.
Also look at the CHC Framework, familiarise yourself with it, print off the relevant bits and highlight them.

hi - nobody has given advice, not sure what you mean? That case you point to isn’t really the same situation, it’s about somebody who is already in residential care who wants to move back to home care.

Thanks Jane, I did and they said they couldn’t advise on it.
thanks
James