Carers Allowance not paid for first 4 wks after leaving work

I’ve recently had confirmation of a successful carer’s allowance claim, but they won’t pay it for the first four weeks after my final pay / P45 date! They say these are the rules, but I’m not sure why as my pay was paid in arrears. So part time for years to undertake caring responsibilities and then no pay or allowance or NI credits for 1st month after leaving work. I know this is minor in scheme of things, but does this sound right? Couldn’t find clarification on this point on gov.uk website.
Thanks,

Hi Craig,

The helpline may be able to advise:

You can email us at > adviceline@carersuk.org > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

Melly1

Update, I phoned the Carers Allowance helpline and they said that this has always been the rule, they take your last pay date and project it forward and if you are over the weekly limit average from that last pay date, they will only start paying you from 4 weeks later.

Hello Craig
Firstly a warm welcome to our forum! I see one of our members has already pointed you in the direction of our helpline, please do call or email them and they’ll be able to help. Also I wanted to let you know we are running some online sessions for carers, you might be aware of them already, Care for a Cuppa and Share & Learn. Both are online sessions with other carers, Care for a Cuppa is usually held every Monday at 3pm for about an hour or so, its an informal session, a chance for carers to come together and chat. There’s no pressure to share anything you’re not comfortable with Craig. The Share and Learn sessions are more fun based to date we’ve run dance classes, yoga, speakers who’ve joined the session to share tips and advice. Please have a look at the two links below, it would be lovely to see you there.
Carer for a cuppa : Online meetups | Carers UK
Share & Learn : Share and Learn | Carers UK
with all good wishes
Ingrid