care for mum

Hello I am a carer for my mum and visit her three times a week, she is in extra care housing so staff go in four times a day to support her.
When I am unable to go and visit her a friend goes in. Last week the friend went and picked up an issue with the care mum had that morning. She telephoned me and I told her to look in the notes in the flat and let me know what had been documentented.
I told her to speak to the next carer who came in, which she did?
However I was informed by the manager that a friend visiting should not be asking about mums care that day and also should not be looking in the notes in the flat, does any one know if this is correct?
Thanks
Rosalie.

Your mum or you if you have mum’s permission must give consent to ask and/or share information.
This should be written on the care plan.
It’s quite right!
However, anyone that’s has concerned should always share - if it’s a safe guarding concern.
This should also be shared with social services if your mum is registered.

I can’t see that being right. The friend was authorized by you as you weren’t there. She was surely entitled to ask about the care and look into the notes. I suppose it might be worth it for you to be the person who actually spoke to the next carer, but that’s just how it comes over to me. Let’s see what other members think.

I think my reply was confusing. It was the first when I posted it - sunnydisposition’s was not shown to me. When I wrote ‘I can’t see that being right’ I meant that the words of the care agency were not right - I was replying directly to Rosalie. I was not disagreeing with sunnydisposition.

If your friend supports mum when you can’t, and when the paid carers are not there, then the friend IS ALREADY an “unpaid carer” and her very presence in that situation surely indicates that mum likes her calling in. The care notes written are there so that everyone knows what everyone else has done.
I feel that the care agency manager is being too officious, she should be concentrating on resolving whatever the problem was, should not be defensive. “Transparency” is one of the words used when talking about good care, and the agency should be happy to share information in these circumstances.

The manager may well have gotten you on a privacy technicality. Easier for her to call your friend out than deal with the problem!