I am a full time carer for my husband. I had thought that you can only form a bubble if you are a single person living on you own and can then form a bubble with another household. I have just read that as a carer, my husband and I can form a bubble with my daughter who lives close by. This would allow us to enter their house and to get the support we need. Can anyone confirm this as we don’t want to break the rules. We live in a tier 2 area.

Hi Kate,

I haven’t seen this, can you post a link?


Tier 2: High alert
This is for areas with a higher or rapidly rising level of infections, where some additional restrictions need to be in place.

In tier 2:

you must not socialise with anyone you do not live with or who is not in your support bubble in any indoor setting, whether at home or in a public place

you must not socialise in a group of more than 6 people outside, including in a garden or a public space – this is called the ‘rule of 6’

businesses and venues can continue to operate, in a COVID-Secure manner, other than those which remain closed by law, such as nightclubs

pubs and bars must close, unless operating as restaurants. Hospitality venues can only serve alcohol with substantial meals

hospitality businesses selling food or drink for consumption on their premises are required to:

provide table service only, in premises which sell alcohol

close between 11pm and 5am (hospitality venues in airports, ports, transport services and motorway service areas are exempt)

stop taking orders after 10pm

hospitality businesses and venues selling food and drink for consumption off the premises can continue to do so after 10pm as long as this is through delivery service, click-and-collect or drive-through

early closure (11pm) applies to casinos, cinemas, theatres, museums, bowling alleys, amusement arcades, funfairs, theme parks, adventure parks and activities, and bingo halls. Cinemas, theatres and concert halls can stay open beyond 11pm in order to conclude performances that start before 10pm

public attendance at outdoor and indoor events (performances and shows) is permitted, limited to whichever is lower: 50% capacity, or either 2,000 people outdoors or 1,000 people indoors

public attendance at spectator sport and business events can resume inside and outside, subject to social contact rules and limited to whichever is lower: 50% capacity, or either 2,000 people outdoors or 1,000 people indoors

places of worship remain open but you must not socialise with people from outside of your household or support bubble while you are indoors there, unless a legal exemption applies

weddings and funerals can go ahead with restrictions on numbers of attendees – 15 people can attend wedding ceremonies and receptions, 30 people can attend funeral ceremonies, and 15 people can attend linked commemorative events such as wakes or stonesettings.

organised outdoor sport, and physical activity and exercise classes can continue

organised indoor sport, physical activity and exercise classes will only be permitted if it is possible for people to avoid mixing with people they do not live with (or share a support bubble with). There are exceptions for indoor disability sport, sport for educational purposes and supervised sport and physical activity for under-18s, which can take place with larger groups mixing

you can continue to travel to venues or amenities which are open, but should aim to reduce the number of journeys you make where possible

if you live in a tier 2 area, you must continue to follow tier 2 rules when you travel to a tier 1 area. Avoid travel to or overnight stays in tier 3 areas other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities.You can travel through a tier 3 area as a part of a longer journey

for international travel see the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office travel advice for your destination and the travel corridors list

Exemptions from gatherings limits in all tiers
as part of a single household, or a support bubble

for work or providing voluntary or charitable services, including in other people’s homes

for childcare, education or training – meaning education and training provided as part of a formal curriculum

for supervised activities provided for children, including wraparound care (before and after-school childcare), groups and activities for under 18s, and children’s playgroups

for formal support groups, and parent and child groups – up to 15 people aged 5 and older

to allow contact between birth parents and children in care, as well as between siblings in care

for arrangements where children do not live in the same household as both their parents or guardians

for prospective adopting parents to meet a child or children who may be placed with them

for birth partners

to attend a funeral – with no more than 30 people present – or a commemorative event such as a wake for someone who has died – with no more than 15 people present

to see someone who is terminally ill or at the end of life

to attend a wedding or civil partnership – with no more than 15 people present

to provide emergency assistance

to avoid injury or illness, or to escape a risk of harm

to fulfil a legal obligation, such as attending court or jury service

to provide care or assistance to someone vulnerable or to provide respite for a carer

to facilitate moving home

Published 23 November 2020

My daughter found it on ageuk.org.uk under the heading Who can I form a support bubble with?

This whole business is really doing my head in!!
Three year olds are known to sit in their pushchairs, cry, kick and scream with frustration.
I know how they feel.

she is on to something there; https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/coronavirus/coronavirus-guidance/support-bubbles/

Who can I form a support bubble with?

For two households to form a support bubble, at least one of the households must have:

only one adult (this includes households with one adult and any children are under the age of 18)
only one adult carer – this means households where this is one adult carer and anyone else living within the household has a disability and requires continuous care
a child under one (regardless of how many other adults are in the household), or
a child under 5 with a disability that requires continuous care (regardless of how many other adults are in the household).

However, I haven’t seen this on the Government website - perhaps it was well hidden, or is new. When the second lockdown came into being, it was announced parents of children under school age and carer’s of an older child or adult who needed continuous care could meet with one other adult (and have the children/caree come along. Therefore, perhaps this is new.
(This is when we need a sleuth like Chris from the gulag, to check it out.)

I wish they had bought this in sooner - though I can’t think of anyone we know who isn’t already in a support bubble…


Yes Kate, you can!

I have found it on the government website, it’s in the Covid-19 Winter Plan:

2 Support Bubble: A support bubble is an exclusive close support network between two households. It means you can have close contact with that household as if they were members of your own. From 2 December, you can form a support bubble with another household, if at least one has:
• only one adult; (including a household where any children are under the age of 18)
• only one adult carer (i.e. living with any additional adult(s) in the household that have a disability and
require continuous care);
• a child under 1 (regardless of how many other adults are in the household) ; or
• a child under 5 with a disability that requires continuous care (regardless of how many other adults are in the household)


Thank you so much for your replies. I feel so relieved that now we can visit indoors.
Thank you all. :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: