Brother has claimed CA when I already receive it

Hi folks,

I’ve been caring for my mum in one way, shape or form since 2016 & so receive Carers Allowance for doing so. I don’t live with my mum but I’ve been staying with her for the past few weeks because we tested positive for Covid so we had to isolate together. I got back home yesterday to check my mail & sort some stuff out & found a letter about my CA, stating that someone else has claimed the payment for caring for my mum. I had no inkling about it & neither did my mum. The only person I could think that would do that was my brother so I asked him & it was. My brother has mental health & substance abuse issues (for which he receives PIP) & often does things like this on a whim without any thought for the consequences.

The letter had a reply slip attached to it, which my brother would have also received a copy of. The reply date on it has passed by 2 weeks, because I was away, and so as a result of no response from either of us (because I knew nothing about it & he decided not to follow through on what he started) it states that it will be passed to the Secretary of State for a decision. So I’m worried that my CA now may be cancelled as they haven’t had a response. I rely on that & the things it entitles me to, to keep me going so this has obviously caused a lot of anxiety. If I call them tomorrow & explain the situation is this likely to help? If anyone has any experience or knowledge in thus area I would really appreciate them sharing it.

I hope you are all doing well & thanks in advance :blush:

He doesn’t sound a fit person to be a carer. I would have thought it was ultimately up to mum to say who has been caring for her, and who she wants to care for her in the future. I do hope you get this sorted asap. Very stressful indeed.

HI Stephanie,

How stressful.

You definitely need to let the Carer’s Allowance department know what has happened - about you having Covid and self -isolating at your Mum’s house and therefore missing the deadline; how you have been the main carer since 2016; about your brother’s difficulties etc You could also put in a note from your Mum saying she would like you to continue as her main carer. Since the secretary of State is meant to be making the decision, then send copies of all this to him too. Do all of this ASAP so the information arrives before a decision is made.

I then suggest you contact the Carers Uk helpline or Citizen’s advice bureau for advice.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777. You can email us at > > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.