Help please with stopping carers allowance

Hi could I get some advice please. My friend is a carer and claims carers allowance but their mental health has deteriorated and are unable to continue caring for their relative. They are cancelling the claim tomorrow. They also claim income support. Would the carers allowance and the income support end straight away please or would there be a run on? If not would they need to claim universal credit? I’ve tried googling it for them but it’s really not clear. Thank you for your help.

Hi Nicola.

Cancelling both CA and IS would appear to be from the date as so notified :

Income Support: Report a change of circumstances - GOV.UK

How to report

You can report a change of circumstances by:

calling the Jobcentre Plus helpline for existing benefit claims
writing to the Jobcentre Plus office that pays your > Income Support > - the address is on the letters you get about your Income Support

Jobcentre Plus - existing benefit claims
Telephone: 0800 169 0310
Textphone: 0800 169 0314

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Stopping CA :
Carer's Allowance: report changes - GOV.UK

As UC contains an element of IS , I would recommend bouncing said problem initially off the DWP through the above link.

UC is not instantaneous … 4 / 5 weeks for the first payment.

In addition , there are reports of delays in processing new applications.

Question then arises … what will your friend do for income in the interim ?

An advance payment may be possible BUT will need to repaid in the weeks / months that follow.

How to apply for UC :
Universal Credit: How to claim - GOV.UK

Thank you so much for the reply. I will pass this on to them. So both carers and income support will stop as soon as the carers is cancelled tomorrow? There is no run on? I will help them look through the information about universal credit. Thank you again.

I am assuming both will … hence bouncing it off the DWP first.

Mind the gap !

It’s that person’s responsibility to contact DWP.
When CA is cancelled, they will advise the person what to do. Leave it to them.
There is no way round government procedure, no point in delaying the inevitable.
All it needs is a letter to DWP saying “I am no longer a carer. Please advise me what to do next”.

Hi Nicola

If your friend would like to discuss this with an advisor they could call the helpline on 0808 808 7777.

Or email on

Best wishes