22 year old son with Borderline Personality Disorder

Hello folks

My son was diagnosed with BPD with narcissistic traits over a year ago and because he shouted and swore and the CMHT he was struck off. He has been not recieving any support from any mental health team and our GP has been continuing to prescribe quetiapine and mirtazapine - I have read up so much on BPD on how I react/communicate with my son (he lives with me) and 3 out of 7 days without rage and outbursts is a good week. I really don’t think the meds are working they simply make him groggy all morning. He is hanging onto his job by the skin of his teeth and is obsessed with a Co worker who wound him up in front of people a few months ago… I don’t want him losing his job… Its the only respite I have as he has no friends… Any ideas what else I can do to help?

Thanks in advance guys

It is just typical of mental health services to react like this, its like refusing someone who is angry , anger management help.

BPD needs Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Prolonged Exposure (DBT-PE)

Giving just tablets and refusing other help just doesn’t resolve this condition.

I’m afraid its a hard battle, talk to the GP, talk to PALS, Patient Liason at the Mental Health Trust/Hospital.

Complain to your MP.

Too often people are labelled a naughty child and punished by removing all therapy and support, that the person should change and be good.
It doesn’t work like that, we don’t choose to have BPD, we don’t choose to be angry and have mood swings.

Where are you in the country, might be able to provide you with more info?

Thanks London bound, I am in Scotland. Our MP has written several letters now and is still awaiting replies from the NHS Trust.

Whereabouts in Scotland, which area, who provides the mental health services in that area?
sometimes they are contracted out.

I live in North Yorkshire but it is Tees Esk and Wear Valleys that provide the mental health treatment/support.

Tees Esk and Wear Valleys are miles and miles away from me.

But they provide DBT-PE particulary suitable for complex hard to treat conditions e.g. BPD.

If you look on your mental health providers website, see what services they provide?

But they have a Duty of Care to all service users/patients and a duty to think of the wellbeing of citizens.

Keep the nation healthy and all that and that includes Mental Health.

Send me a message if you don’t want to disclose your precise location.