Worried about Nan

Hi,

I’m new to this forum and am looking for some help/ information about how to organise assisted living accommodation for my Nan. She is in her early 80’s and until recently has been very fit both physically and mentally. In the last two years we have noticed a rapid decline which was confirmed by the members of her congregation.
Both my mum and I live in Germany and cannot afford to travel back and forth to care for her, although we would like to. We have discussed the possibility of bringing her here but with Brexit and other issues it would be very complicated and I don’t know if she would want that anyway as she doesn’t speak German. What I would really like is to find a nice assisted living place for her so that someone is constantly around should the need arise. However, she is very proud and does not want to accept this. Does anyone have any tips for me on how to convince her that it is in her best interest?
Thank you in advance. Samantha

Hi Samantha and welcome

It’s really up to Nan where is lives etc. And I know how difficult it is for families wanting the best for a loved one.
You could make a list of positives instead of calling it assisted living. Change that to independent living scheme with carers available in a emergency. Have you exhausted all the reasons you think Nan should move. There are many ways to keep people in their own homes. Adaptations to the home an alarm pendant etc. Carers visits several times a day.

Hi Samantha,
I would suggest that you concentrate on what nan needs, always remembering that every year her needs are likely to increase. Does she own or rent her home?
Does she have over £23,000 in savings (Yes/No).
Is her home suitable for someone very elderly?