Hi Honeybadger,

Four sessions of counselling, sounds like Solution Focused counselling to me. The sort that is offered for example, through the work place - e.g. you are struggling to get on with your manager, you have some counselling and through that develop some strategies to cope.

With ASD and PTSD is in the mix, I would have thought you’d have needed a counsellor with at least a special interest, specific experience or training in this and a lot more time.

From what I have read and heard, I do think you have to “click” with the counsellor.

You might have to give these sessions a go, dealing with the day to day to stuff and then try again for the Carer’s assessment and budget?

Melly1

I had similar feelings after my first sessions of on line counselling , but I ended up surprised by how much better I felt at the end of it. I did get an increased number of sessions as the counsellor thought I needed them.

I’d stick with it, we so rarely get ‘owt for nowt’ that I’d want to extract every minute out of it that I could. :smiley:

I would also suggest you do say your concerns. It won’t work if you aren’t truthful and open.
You could always show her your post if saying it out loud is difficult

Hope this helps a little

Hi, The Nottingham Carers Federation Counselling Service was recommended to me by a Working Age Dementia Support person- I’ve had 12 sessions and have been offered another 12 sessions. I can’t recommend it enough if there’s something similar in your area.

Good Morning Honey,
Please can i ask did you self refer for counselling on the NHS ? please, If you did can you please tell me how you went about it please as i am in need of doing the same, many thanks

NHS talking therapies - NHS

__

Can I get free therapy or counselling ?

You can get free psychological therapies like cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) on the NHS.

You don’t need a referral from your GP.

You can refer yourself directly to a psychological therapies service.

Just google CBT and your area and it should come up how to self refer. I did and opted for on line counselling as it was quicker to access than face to face for which there’s often a longer waiting list. It helped me

I am really shocked, I rang my local MIND to ask about counselling, Cost is £10 pr hr for the first 6 sessions and then between £10-£30 pr hr there after, There are no concessions for carers on benefits, Now i know £10 pr wk is not a lot of money but what happens at the end of the first 6 wks if they say "we think you are in need of another 6 wks counselling and these will cost £30 per week, I couldn’t afford £30 pr wk, I think anyone seeking counselling is very brave taking that first step without maybe having to back out midway because of cost

Thank you

__

You can get free psychological therapies, including counselling for depression, on the NHS. You don’t need a referral from your GP. You can refer yourself directly to a psychological therapies service. … Find out more about free psychological therapies on the NHS.

Link posted earlier any use ?

When did you last have a Carers Assessment?
If you need counselling to help you with your caring role, then Social Services should give you a personal budget so you can pay for the counselling from it. That’s what I did!