Hello

Hello all,

New member here, short intro.

Carer for my partner who suffers from PTSD, anxiety, depression, social phobia and a variety of other associated mental health issues, with borderline features.

We’ve been together a long time and I’m not new to this. Right now, we’re going through one of the toughest periods ever, with her analysis reaching deep, deep down and the weight of coping becoming unbearable (hence joining up here).

I’ve developed anxiety and panic attacks over the past 6-12 months, have no support and no respite (it’s not possible, don’t ask, it just isn’t). So I’ve been looking for self-help programs to work myself through this. Unfortunately, virtually everything I find is CBT that won’t work with me because (like my partner) I believe in dealing with the root, not painting over the cracks.

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of lovely people, learning, sharing and all that fun stuff! :smiley:

Tiero

Hello and welcome!

When was the last time you had any me time? This is vital for unpaid carers seriously. Even if it is a hour spent doing some food shopping or being at work earning money it still counts. I enjoy having me time. It is essential to my wellbeing overall. And you need a proper break. Find opportunities for me time as much as possible.

Will he accept paid for carers or not? You can telephone the council tomorrow to ask for a needs assessment. A social worker should then come out to conduct a proper assessment of his needs and then also assess your financial situation too. Make the most of it. It is your chance to be honest.

Are you seeing a counseller? It might be a wise idea for both of you. Definitely enquire about a referral to local counselling or therapy. In the mean time you can look at the selection of self help books at your local library or online etc. Additionally you can do a self help course that is accredited by a college.

Your local bookshop may also sell a limited number of self assistance books. Have you tried meditation? It is a powerful strong way of relaxing the mind. You can even order special meditation resources like CDs and DVDs from Amazon. I think that YouTube also has some useful meditation videos on their site that are certainly worth watching.