Thinking my partners mental health issues are hereditary?

My partner has a bipolar type mental health issue, he has been ill twice during our relationship and I have supported him both times as long as I possibly could. Before I came along, he would always go straight to his mum when he was ill but since meeting me he looks to me for comfort. His mum has not taken this well and bad mouthed me really badly to his friends and other family members to the point that they didn’t speak to me for 4 years. This has all come out since my partners recent illness. I have learned the extent of the things been said about me and it really hurts, but I worry about how this effects my partners mental health. I wonder if anyone else has been through this and if they have any advice on how I can deal with this really difficult situation? Please? Thanks in advance

Hi Emma,

no experience of this, but just wanted to say most families would be relieved and grateful that their adult son or daughter had found someone able and willing to support them during episodes of ill mental health.; especially as his parents won’t be around for ever.

Personally, I would wait until your partner’s condition is stable and then discuss it with him.

I would also ask who ever is reporting all this to you, not to in future, as its not helpful and benefits no one. Just say something like, everyone is entitled to their opinion but you don’t want to hear about it, thank you.

Sorry if I have oversimplified the situation.

Melly1

I guess all you can do is address the issue, and confront the most important one a about it, and get the lowdown on what they think of you.