The Worst Of Caring Support In 2019 ? Look No Further. When It Goes Horribly Wrong , There Will Be Victims!

Housebound woman, 43, who was " Completely immobile " starved to death in her home after " Corner cutting " care worker " Went to visit her own mother instead of checking on her. "

Care worker Tracy Burrows allegedly did not check on disabled Julie Cleworth.

She then " Lied " to her boss that the immobile woman had not been home.

Boss then assumed that the victim was back in hospital due to the circumstances.

Stroke victim Miss Cleworth’s care package was stopped and she starved to death.

Full article : Housebound woman, 43, starved to death after care worker 'went to visit her own mother instead'  | Daily Mail Online

Trouble is … how many more potential Miss Cleworths are there at risk ???

That doesnt seem like corner cutting to me. More like intentional neglect.

Yep … said article does contain the word MANSLAUGHTER.

__

56-year-old Burrows, of Sherdley Park Drive, St Helens, Merseyside is on trial denying manslaughter and an alternative charge of wilful neglect.

At least the Daily Chuckle have seen sense by not allowing comments.

( Hanging , drawing and quartering is now a few centuries out of date ? )

Hard to believe that someone completely immobile and with no friends or relatives available would have been discharged home and not to a care home…

Welcome to the TRUE " State of Caring " in 2019 ???

It has NOTHING to do with " Care " … it’s EVERYTHING to do about saving monies ( LAs ) …
and maximising profits ( Care agencies ).

This could easily happen in my area, a lack of co ordination and communication, carers visiting carees homes who are in hospital but no one has informed the care agency.
The hospital discharging carees but not informing the care agency, next day no carer calls.

In the good old days there were wardens calling every day on elderly and vulnerable people, wardens have been cut as people have mobiles now.

Surely the lady should have had an emergency pendent in case of emergency, what if there was a fire.

This isn’t just the care company, there should have been emergency plans by Social Services someone stuck in the house 24 hours a day, there should have been safeguarding in place.

The expectation these days is that the carers check in with the agency upon arrival and departure. One agency we had had an electronic tag on the careplan file, kept in the house, that the carer need to scan on their phone to prove they were in the room with mum. Others used mum’s landline phone. The agency needs to know if the carers have visited or not.

Having said that, one agency was completely unaware that the carer had missed two consecutive care visits that would have left my mum in an armchair overnight til lunchtime had I not been there. The manager then blamed me for not calling her sooner. Frankly, I was testing to see how long before anyone showed up. If I had gone out for a night on the town (fat chance!). Mum would have been out of luck.

Agreed, Honey Badger.

A care worker who left a severely disabled woman to starve to death at home has been convicted of gross negligence manslaughter. >

__

**_Tracy Burrows, 56, of St Helens, lied about her patient being at home, leading to cancelled care visits.

After four days without food or water, Julie Cleworth, 43, who had had a stroke, was found dead at her Rainhill home on 9 February 2017.

Burrows was warned at Liverpool Crown Court she was likely to be jailed.

She will be sentenced on 21 August following a pre-sentence report.

Starvation toxins

Upon release from hospital on 5 February, Ms Cleworth - described by the prosecution as “helpless as a baby” - was put in bed by ambulance crews.
Later that evening, finding the house in darkness, Burrows did not even get out of her car to check on Ms Cleworth.

But Burrows, of Sherdley Park Drive, told her employers Unite Healthcare that she had looked in every room of the house for her, the court heard.

Because Unite was told Ms Cleworth was not at the property, subsequent care visits were cancelled.

A post-mortem examination revealed that Ms Cleworth had developed ketoacidosis, a condition in which toxins build up in the blood stream as a result of starvation.

After a nine-day trial, the jury unanimously found Burrows guilty of manslaughter through gross negligence.

After the verdict, Ms Cleworth’s mother Hilary Kenny said: “I’ve got justice for her.”_**

St Helens care worker jailed over starving patient death.

__

**_A care worker who left a severely disabled woman to starve to death at home has been jailed for gross negligence manslaughter.

Tracey Burrows, of St Helens, lied to bosses about her patient not being at home leading to cancelled care visits.
Liverpool Crown Court heard Julie Cleworth, 43, who had had a stroke, was found dead on 9 February 2017 after four days without food or water.

Burrows, 56, who denied the charge, > was sentenced to three years in prison.

Ms Cleworth - described by the prosecution during the trial as “helpless as a baby” - was put in bed by ambulance crews upon release from hospital.

She was completely immobile and reliant on care workers for her basic needs, with a care plan requiring two care workers to visit her five times a day.

Later that evening, on seeing Ms Cleworth’s house in darkness, Burrows did not get out of her car to check on her.

However Burrows, of Sherdley Park Drive, told her employers Unite Healthcare she had looked in every room of the house for her, the court heard.

Subsequently, the firm cancelled care visits.

" Helpless in bed "

A post-mortem examination revealed Ms Cleworth had developed ketoacidosis, a condition in which toxins build up in the blood stream as a result of starvation.

In sentencing, Judge Neil Flewitt QC said: “Your neglect of Julie Cleworth set in motion an unbroken sequence of events which led directly to her death.”

He added Burrows “neither intended nor actually foresaw the consequences” of her actions

“One can only image the terror which must have overcome Julie Cleworth as she lay helpless in bed, realising that she had been abandoned and left to starve to death.”

Following the nine-day trial, Ms Cleworth’s mother Hilary Kenny said: “I’ve got justice for her.”

Det Insp Craig Turner of Merseyside Police said Burrows was “in a position of trust” and “has abused this trust”.

“Although this is a really awful series of events, I hope this sentencing brings some closure to Ms Cleworth’s family.”_**

A little bit of justice then. Thanks for posting the outcome Chris.

Your welcome.

Until the next Miss Cleworth ?

Muckamore Abbey Hospital already stepped into the lime light with 1500 alleged offences caught on tape, all from a single ward…

Yep … posted earlier today :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/specific-disabilities-conditions/mental-health/mental-health-services-under-resourced-yes-suicide-prevention-minister-and-related-reports-covering-the-meltdown-34595?start=30

**Muckamore Abbey : CCTV reveals > 1,500 > crimes at hospital.

CCTV footage has revealed > 1,500 > crimes on one ward of Muckamore Abbey Hospital, the police officer leading the investigation has said.** >

I’m in 2 minds about a sentence was just 3 years
The charge was gross negligence manslaughter, so no intention or foresight of consequences so is it too light or too strong?
She will serve probably only a third…