Support

Caring for my husband who has Parkinson’s, he was diagnosed 3 years ago but was told that he could of had it up to 5 years before! Working full time and making sure my Mum 89 who had a stroke 9 years ago is being looked after by professional carers. Finding it increasingly difficult emotionally plus my brother took his own life recently. Feel as though I am not giving 100 per cent to everything. Work are very supportive. I am sure there are many people in my situation. Would like some ideas of how to stay strong for everyone. :smiley:

Hi Carol … welcome to an extremely quiet forum.

Condolences on the recent loss of your brother.

Support ?

Some links which fit your criteria.

OUTSIDE CARE SUPPORT … what’s available out there , and who provides it :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/home-care-services-a-guide-from-the-money-advice-service-web-site-37984

NEEDS and CARER ASSESSMENTS … through your LA … waiting times a real post code lottery :

The Care Needs Assessment Explained | Age UK

Carer's assessment | Carers UK

Your husband’s health.

Is CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare a factor here … or to be in the future ?

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/chc-coughlan-grogan-judgements-nhs-contuing-healthcare-nhs-fnc-hospital-discharges-all-under-this-one-thread-35998

( Almost needless to add ? Link to the Parkinson’s UK … also has an online forum : https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/what-parkinsons )

Any help needed in other areas … benefits / housing / wills / power of attorney etc. ?

Others will be along to extend their welcomes , and add their insights.

Hello and welcome!

Have you requested a needs assessment or not? Can you afford a care home preferably a good one? Also find out about power of attorney as well. I’m having to deal with this for a young foster child aged 6 who used to live with my father until October this year. The paperwork can be hard to understand so please obtain professional high quality legal advice first. A solicitor can advise you. See if you can find one in your area.

What benefits do you claim? Main ones to apply for are ESA and PIP. Citizen’s Advice can assist you with the forms etc. The money can be used to pay for equipment and care. Oh how sad. Many condolences to you and you are in my prayers. Are you seeing a counsellor? It is a good idea. Try finding a local one. Ask about a referral to local community mental health services.

You are being very hard on yourself. You can’t please everyone all of the time. When did you last do something that was fun for yourself???

It sounds to me as if you are already staying strong. I think you could advise other people.

Staying strong…

You can’t be all things to all people. No one can!!

Why should you or would you be.

Keep smiley :smiley:

You are doing an amazing job!!!

Thank you for all the replies.
New Year being positive in and out of work.
Yes I do have counselling and have a wonderful group of girlfriends.
Happy New Year to everyone :slight_smile:

Your welcome.

Happy New Year ?

For most in both CarerLand and CareeLand , 2020 can’t be any worse than 2019 … can it ?

Hi. You simply cant give 100% to everyone!

I lived with a diagnosis of PD for 20+ years and reckon I had the symptoms years earlier. Same goes for others I know with PD. At times I found going to a support group (of an informative, supportive nature) to be helpful. Carer’s , family members also benefited. Parkinson’s UK has a useful website and forum.

Being a carer can take all your time, strength and energy. Bowlingbun likes to encourage family members to be a manager of their carees’ care. See if you can take some time for yourself.