Introducing myself

Hi,

Just joined so as I could help if needed as I am sole carer for my husband who has Parkinson’s.

Hazeld

Hi Hazel - welcome aboard!

I care mainly for my wife these days, but also support my son with autism, and my eldest son who has mental health issues - and Mum, who’s in a care home with dementia. Have a good look round!

Welcome to the forum.

Parkinsons can lead to all sorts of issues.
How much care does your husband need? Have you thought about asking for some outside help?

Hi Im looking for advice but no idead how to post(why isnt there an easy option on forums)
My elderly Mother is now living on her own after my Fther passed away, she recives pip, aa, housing benifit,and pension credit.
The short off it, i live 14 miles away and have a decent income and am a renter,i stay overnight at mmy mothers once a week and do pop bys as well as phone calls abd shopping.
Im considering renting a larger property for myself partner two children and now my Mother, however i ouldnt do this without the help of my mothers benifit income.
Basically what wouod happen if i was to do this in regards to her benifits?

Please don’t do this!

So many people on the forum have bitterly regretted it, because there is then no escape from mum’s demands, which will increase and increase until she dies.
I know it seems like a good idea, but really it’s a recipe for disaster, especially for your husband and children.

Can you tell us more about mum, what support does she need, and why does she need you to stay overnight?
Presumably as she claims Housing Benefit, she rents her home?
How old are your children?

Hello Hazel

Welcome to our forum!! As well as the forum there are other ways you can connect with carers Hazel, we are running a series of online meetups which have proved very popular, many of our carers have said how helpful they found the sessions. I’ve attached a link to our web page that will give you more info and the sign up page. I’m sure you will find other carers at the sessions who are in a similar situation, and it’s a great place to get advice from others who know what you are dealing with.

You can find information on how to register to our online meetups at the following pages:

Care for a Cuppa: Online meetups | Carers UK

We also have our Share and Learn sessions Share and Learn | Carers UK
These are wide range of sessions we’re running, coming up next week we have pilates and a photography workshop, please have a look and see if any are of interest, we would love to see you there.

And of course you can always contact our helpline should you need advice or support - Our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)

with best wishes
Ingrid

Welcome, Hazel. Do get in touch and ask away. PM me by all means…

Anthony

Hi Hazel

Have you searched for a parkinsons group as well as that could also be helpful to you if they have a forum and could help to normalise parkinsons related things and advice on Parkinsons issues.