Spending more money on food

Dear all, has anyone else been spending more money on food due to covid? The reason I am asking, a few shops I go to do shopping, I am finding that fresh items, like meat or bread are going off either before the date they are due out or already turning to go off or not right at all! I am finding in some cases I am spending more on the weekly shop than before as prices have gone up but the quality of product has gotten worst. I have complained to the shop, they have either given me my money back but also replacement food. That is ok up to a point but I still believe it is unfair to any of us that try’s to keep to a budget as funds are need else where.
mike

Hi Michael, that’s interesting because recently I did an online shop from one of the main supermarkets. I had requested semi skimmed milk but they told me they hadn’t got any. My replacement was 6 bottles of skimmed milk - every bottle was ‘off’ and had curdled. When I poured the milk into my tea there were solid chunks floating about! It was horrible. According to the date on the milk it was supposedly drinkable for another week!! I guess it had not been stored in a refrigerator on site but left at room temperature for many hours.
I managed to find a phone number and complained about what had happened and my money was refunded.

Hi Michael,

Similar problems here with items not being available. Never know what will /won’t be available so end up buying things in case aren’t available the next week.

Also fruit in particular not good quality even when still in date.

I’m putting it down to delays in transporting.

Not good is it.

Melly1

PS food more expensive too.

Covid is partly to blame, but also Brexit has caused so many problems with new import/export regulations as so much of what we buy in our supermarkets originates from or is manufactured in the EU :frowning: Suppliers are being forced to increase their prices to take account of their increased costs caused by the new regulations and new taxes :frowning:

A lot of items I used to buy regularly are either no longer available or are regularly in short supply so like Melly1 I’m tending to buy certain items as and when I see them even if I don’t immediately need them !

In my area the green bin collection service was cancelled for a month due to lack of contract HGV drivers. They have been asking excessive rates of pay due to shortage and supermarkets are cleaning up all available drivers leaving non for the local authority at an affordable price. I suspect the covid pings have been keeping hgv drivers off work reusulting in some dodgy food storage going on.

My eldest son looks after a fleet of HGV’s for the local council. There really is a shortage of drivers and fitters. It’s a “perfect storm”, in one of the most expensive housing areas in the country, and proximity to Southampton where there are enormous stacks of containers waiting to be moved. Drivers are being recruited with offers of £55,000 plus bonuses. There are fewer young people coming forward to be drivers, delays in getting a test. I paid for my son’s tests after my husband died as we had our own tractor unit and trailer to move the steam engines, 16 years ago it cost over £2,000 for his tests. First you have to learn to drive a " rigid" lorry, then another test to drive an articulated lorry.

I try to keep a general eye on prices so that I can keep our costs down. Even so, prices of most items we buy have gone up at least 10%, and in some cases more like 20% over the last year.

We used to do some shopping online when we were both working, but we found that fresh items were always very close to sell-by date and often of a quality that meant they were going to be unusable within a day or so. And let’s not talk about the weird and wonderful world of substitutions! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

We stopped doing online grocery shopping there and then, and started going shopping on a Monday or Tuesday evening. Nice and quiet, and most shelves fully stocked. Covid made life more interesting, and being retired now means that we can go when we feel like it. Because of Covid, we rearranged our storage to make sure we have at least two weeks’ worth of food in the house. That way, if any of us takes ill, we’ll cope without shopping for a while, the only issue being milk: Dave’s the only one who uses it, generally once a day (breakfast) and we can get around that too for a few days at least.

I too keep an eye on prices. I do still have an online delivery for heavier non perishable items. I can return goods to the driver if not happy. Fortunately my grandson takes me shopping for fruit veg etc. However we shop,groceries are increasing dramatically in price. I buy long life skimmed milk which suits me as some weeks use more than others. Now using own brand washing liquid which is fine for me. My friend lives on her own too so we often share.

This is a common issue. In the past few months I have had to look at the much more cheaper alternatives when it comes to buying food. Instead of shopping at the big supermarket in my area this is what I have started to do. I now visit a local farm shop to get cheese and meat at a reasonable price.

So much better for the planet. I love going to a farm shop to look at the range of items and pick up a few in addition.

Also I like to go to a weekly farm market in town on my own in order to purchase some nice but cheap fresh fruit and vegetables for Milo. Food prices are a tricky matter at the best of times, however there are tried and tested ways to save yourself some money. Milo will literally eat everything bar chocolate. I do not let her have it.

And supermarkets do have umpteen offers. You can either search online on their website or inquire in store about any current advertised active offers etc as well. That is another good way to reduce your spending costs overall. Try to buy fresh fruit and vegetables in season if you can find it.

Thara
You are very lucky if your local farm shop is cheaper than usual supermarkets. Mine isn’t. It does sell lovely food and bread etc but not anywhere less expensive. Not so easy to get to unless my Grandson can take me.
Tell us a little about Milo. I’m sure I recognise your user name from a while back. Am I correct?

Yes I forgot the password to my old account. Milo is eighteen months old. She is my only caree at the moment. My local farm shop staff know me well as I have literally visited each week in order to buy their products.

Thank you Thara
I wasn’t sure.
Is Milo your caree or pet. I know pets are very important in lives of lots of people. My family had / have much loved pets.

Apologies Michael
I have taken your subject of food prices off thread.
Back to it… I went shopping today with my grandson. Far less groceries for my money !!

She is both really. My beloved dog is technically also my non human caree as she needs a lot of attention to keep her safe and well.