Shared lives

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has experience of using shared lives service in place of residential care? How does it work and how to access this?

Thanks in advance

Karen

Shared lives schemes ?

Two links … NHS and SharedLivesPlus :

Shared lives schemes - NHS

https://sharedlivesplus.org.uk/

Interesting concept … and more than one way of looking at this " New " idea.

More one of mutual assistance rather than a commercial enterprise … although the latter cannot be ruled out if
someone sees an opportunity along these lines ?

My son has learning difficulties, he’s 40 today, in supported living. I’m a member of a local group looking at various aspects of LD, the general opinion seems to be that it’s OK but can’t be seen as a very long term solution.

Happy birthday to your son BB

Thank you. I gave him some boxed videos.
One about the Flying Scotsman, which used to be owned by Tony Marchington, a steam friend of ours. Another about Fred Dibnah, who M has met, we have a lovely photograph of them shaking hands, at a local steam show. Another features the local railway, father in law was a signalman here for many years.

There have been a few topics on this subject over the last couple of years or so.

If you use the Search function from the Board Index page and enter

+shared +lives in the Topic Title box and then click on Search at the bottom of the page you should get a list of the topics discussing the Shared Lives scheme.

Shared Lives is like fostering for adults. A good match and successful placement can last until the Shared Lives Carees retire/ the caree no longer needs care, (for whatever reason.) A poor match and unsuccessful placement can end at anytime, with 28 notice - the same as residential care & supportive living providers.

Melly1

Thanks everyone, helpful advice for me to think about

Karen

I have met several people with LD, younger than my son, for whom Shared Lives worked as a “stepping stone” between living with mum and dad, and living in their own flat. Both of them regarded it as useful, whilst recognising it wasn’t permanent.

Maybe the biggest advantage is that once the person concerned is no longer with mum and dad, going back to mum and dad is accepted by Social Services as being inappropriate.
I know several people about 40 years old parents 65-75 years old, still with the parents.

I use to provide a home for shared lives adults. It is very important to get the right match. This might take several attempts looking at different families. The family need to be able to clearly match the individuals needs and likes/interests and hobbies. It should not be about the families needs. The shared lives worker is there to provide appropriate care. Yes, its a little like fostering for adults. Following legislation being trained and providing a caring environment.

Crucially, working with birth families. Where children in care can have a host of individual/s aware and are able to check the well being. Learning difficulty adults necessary do not. If you feel in anyway apprehensive and introductions. Use you gut feeling you know you family member. Although placements can be limited feeling more anxious if unsure. Will not provide the individual or family member reassurance.

Ask the social worker if you can speak with other families. In your area who already use the service. There should be a support group. Contact you local Mencap they will know of the schemes. And usual although confidential will be able to give some reassurance on how it all works.