Schizotypal Personality Disorder

Hi, one of my family members has been diagnosed with STPD (Schizotypal Personality Disorder), we’re not sure if this is an accurate diagnosis as it took a long time for a doctor to give a proper diagnosis and after doing some research it doesn’t seem to be a well known personality disorder. I think my family member who was diagnosed suffers from social anxiety even around family he is very familiar with, depression, doesn’t have any close friends, doesn’t like himself (how he looks or just who he is), finds it hard to hold down a job (hasn’t worked for a long time), has ‘episodes’ where he is in a terrible mood, shouts and slams doors, is paranoid and belives people don’t like him and therefore he doesn’t like them, says things that don’t make sense and can’t be talked to rationally, says mean and hurtful things, acts awkwardly, has ideas of reference where he believes random things have a personal meaning to him (always negative). The ‘episodes’ can sometimes last for hours and when he comes out of it, he is usually extremely upset and sorry, and sometimes doesn’t remember or understand how he was just acting and that it isn’t normal, and feels like he was outside of his body looking down at himself. He has always been very reluctant to get help as he doesn’t feel like he needs it.

I am just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with dealing with STPD either by having it themselves or knowing someone who has? If any or all of the things I’ve described sound familiar at all, I’d love to hear other people’s experiences with it. Thank you in advance.

Dear Allayupma
Welcome to the Forum!
You are not alone, we are sure that many on here will understand exactly how you feel and offer support. Caring can be very lonely and the pandemic has made caring responsibilities challenging as many carers have been socially restricted and unable to attend social groups etc.
Carers UK are running online weekly meet ups for carers and you can find the information on how to register at Care For A Cuppa-Online meetups | Carers UK. Share and Learn:Share and Learn | Carers UK.
Our Telephone Number is 0808 808 7777 open from Monday to Friday, 9.00am-6.00pm…
Our Email Address is (advice@carersuk.org).
They provide information and guidance to unpaid carers. This covers:-
-Benefits And Financial Support
-Your Rights As A Carer In The Workplace
-Carers Assessments And How To Get Support In Your Caring Role
-Services Available To Carers And The People You Care For
-How to Complain Effectively And Challenge Decisions
Best Wishes
Kristie

Dear Allayupma
Hi I am writing to you to leave you a follow up message to see how you are from my first initial message. Im hoping that your circumstances are okay and you find the forum and my message to give you beneficial and helpful information and advice. Please leave me a message to let me know how your getting on and whether or not you are okay.