Hi New to forum

Hi
Carer for my wife for 15yrs She has been diagnosed a Paranoid Schizophrenic and also has Auditory hallucinations they’re are constant 24/7.Derogatory and abusive also threats of violence and every voice is real life experience to her.I had 7 yrs of violence towards me .None of the meds prescribed helped other than turn her into a zombie sleeping 16 hrs a day.
In the early days I would be confronted many times because of these voices and react in a manner anyone else would do being unaware of what was happening.
My reactions were like a trigger to her and would feed these voices.Anyway has time passed and the more experienced I gained I learnt the hard way .No help from family etc.
For example she would be talking out loud to her voices and would say there’s 30 ppl at the back gate coming to hurt her… I asked her to ask them who wanted tea or coffee.Instantly that connected to her own thought process and no more was said.
Don’t get me wrong it’s not been always that easy but that 1 experience changed her outlook.
She still hears them 24/7…but we have learnt to control things together.
1 last thing though…always expect the unexpected with Mental Health .

Happy to chat and share any similar experiences.Being a carer is lonely,depressing and sometimes takes you to the edge of life .I’ve also been diagnosed with PTSD from the the violence and beatings I received during the early days of her illness… I’m in control though so all is good .

Hi Andy1710,

Welcome to the forum and thank you so much for sharing your caring story, it sounds like an incredibly hard situation. I know you will find lots of carers on this forum who can understand your situation and share your experience. You also have such a wealth of caring experience to share with others.

Please do have a look around the forum and find the different sections we have and just ask if you have any questions.

We do have a section discussing mental health which may be of interest to you: Our Forum | Carers UK

If you ever need someone to talk about help and advice our Helpline is open Monday-Friday 9am-6pm on 0808 808 7777.

I hope this is useful.

Best wishes,

Meg