Saving up carers allowance

Hi

I want to buy a car eventually is it okay for me to save up £60 of the £64.60 of my carers allowance in to a separate account? What savings can you have? What is the limit? I want to save around £3000 for a car

There are no restrictions on the use of Carers Allowance.

If claiming solely Carers Allowance , it is not means tested.

For most , it constitutes the greater part of their income … unless juggling work with caring and / or drawing down a private pension to starve off going under.

Being in a family unit also helps if the " Breadwinner " is unaffected by caring.

Not in this case it appears … ?

Chris, thank you for your fast replies. I only claim Carers Allowance. I have no private pension, I get paid every month £520, which is below the £520.04 limit. I had to adjust my work efforts to make sure I get all my work done in the set hours to equal that pay, which means no more relaxing at work!

I am affected in the sense I no longer am pursuing my career which paid me a salary of £25,000 per anum. It has significantly reduced, but my father comes first.

Your welcome.

I will assume that the recent hike in the Real Living Wage / rise in the Minimum Wage next April will not cause any problems in keeping within the limit ?

Feel free to bounce anything else off us here on this forum.

Can I ask if dad will be taking rides in the car? If you will be using it for his benefit at all?

If so, then he should be making a significant contribution towards the cost of the car!!

Hi

Will be used for Dad from time to time, and Dad will contribute towards fuel and car to an extent.

Depending on your dad’s finances, if he is reasonably comfortable, is he giving you his Attendance Allowance? I believe you still don’t have to justify how it is spent so perhaps a separate transport pot?

Be wary of monies passing down from your caree :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/carer-disability-benefits/attendance-allowance-pip-paid-to-family-carer-there-are-problems-not-advertised-33078?hilit=attendance%20allowance

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/direct-payments-paying-a-family-member-to-care-no-but-the-jury-is-out-30902?hilit=direct%20payments

If dad has over £23,000 in savings, make sure HE buys the car with HIS money!

I really look forward to the budget in April every year. Let’s hope it increases for us.If anything, it will help me. I’ll deal with that when it comes.

There’s a poor lass at work who’s also a carer, she doesn’t know I’m a carer (I am very private) and she’s forced to work a few hours extra without being paid, simply so she doesn’t go over the allowance to get disallowed. It is really bad.

The car will be for me solely, really. Dad prefers getting the bus or train. I will be doing his shopping though (our shopping) and he’ll contribute to fuel, I am happy with that.

Question is if the government allows me to save up my CA for this purpose

The car will be for me solely, really. Dad prefers getting the bus or train. I will be doing his shopping though (our shopping) and he’ll contribute to fuel, I am happy with that.

Question is if the government allows me to save up my CA for this purpose

You can use it or save it, the choice is yours.