Religion and caring

Hi everyone :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:. This is my first post and I hope you are all coping reasonably well by Yahweh’s grace. A bit about me, it was my brother in 2008 that first had mental health problems of some severity, being diagnosed with schizophrenia. His mental health had an effect on me and in around 2014 I was diagnosed with a mental health problem. It was that year that my brother died. Wanting to help others with mental health problems, I decided to become a mental health worker albeit a casual one and from 2019 onwards I have been doing work in this area.

About 2 months ago, my sister who has experienced mental health problems though reasonably mild had relapsed somewhat forcing me to take a break from work and looking after her full-time adamant that I would, as my faith (called the ‘Assemblies of Yahweh’) teaches to show love and not shut off my compassion to her or not simply leaving it for someone else to take care of her if possible. She in particularly didn’t want to go to hospital so I respected her wishes.

Being of the same faith has been helpful. Unlike my mental health work which has given me some practical experience, I am able to pray with her almost every day. Recently, we have also been singing spiritual songs together. Because our faith is one where we believe in keeping the commandments of Yahweh, showing love to Yahweh and our fellow men through the keeping of the commandment I have encouraged her to pursue a hobby of hers to create and design via watercolour painting gift cards for various sick people in the faith. I can say in my own experience that the best way to address paranoia is to make a dedicated effort to show love to others, just as the Biblical Law teaches and it has helped.

But I am grateful to report my sister is doing much better now. I don’t know how this will be taken and especially by atheists probably unfavourably, but I also fasted for an extended period of time, on and off and I give Yahweh the glory through Yahshua the Messiah that she has seen huge improvement. It wasn’t simply medication as actually like many my sister was supported by ISS but she had concerns about taking medication, not wanting to rely on them, though I did encourage her to take it, she prefers to take natural remedies.

It’s been really helpful to be able to use my faith as a basis for bringing us together and for those who are religious, especially of a Biblical background, I’d encourage to try praying or studying or singing together.

Jude :20-21

“But you, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of Yahweh, looking for the mercy of our Master Yahshua the Messiah to eternal life.” (Sacred Scriptures Bethel Edition)

Some think religion is a waste of time, but I firmly believe that though many peoples religions are vain and are an outward show, my faith has helped a lot, but then again, I hold the conviction that my faith is the truth. Praise Yahweh I hope to start work again this month now she is better and am even going to a classical music concert with her this week, something that looked impossible to do previously.

I just wanted to praise Yahweh in Yahshua’s Name for his healing power, as well as thanks Carers Leeds for support as well as ISS who came to visit her quite frequently. May Yahweh receive all the glory as I know mental health problems are not easy to recover from.

1 Like

Hi Obadiah and welcome aboard.

Speaking as an atheist, I’m all for using every tool in the toolkit - and for those who have a religion, well that’s part of the toolkit. Whatever works for you is a good thing.

I’m glad you felt able to post about this - taking that first step can be hard. Do check the “Roll Call” thread, where we have the most activitiy - but feel free to post about other topics elsewhere on the forum, too.

Best wishes to you and your sister - I hope she stays well.

Thank you Charlesh47 for your kind words! I guess what I’ve found, at least at my actual job, where people suffer from mental health problems, they are nearly every single one, non-religious, and yet faith, especially active faith I find is such a rewarding and vital aspect of getting better in any situation.

It’s interesting you mention the toolkit. Yes that’s one way of looking at it! So much good can be taken out of the Bible and the good characteristics it develops such as described in Galatians 5:22-23 and to me it is invaluable and I would recommend all to pursue a meaningful spiritual life and personal relationship with Yahweh.

Hello and thank you for writing about your faith. It is my faith that keeps me hopeful and positive because God is my beloved and is my ever present help in times of trouble. So many of my prayers are answered and I am full of gratitude. “Come all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest”. May the peace of the Christ Child be with us all this Christmas time.