Power Of Attorney ... Refunds?

Answer to a Daily Telegraph’s reader’s question :

" How do I apply for a power of attorney refund ? " >

__

Rebates are indeed available – of up to £54. The rebate applies to a portion of the application fee for lasting and enduring powers of attorney made in England and Wales.

The fee for registering this document is only supposed to cover the cost of providing the service. But those who applied between April 1 2013 and March 31 2017 were charged more and may now be entitled to a refund.

The amounts vary depending on when the fee was paid.

Applications can be made online at gov.uk, where you can search for “power of attorney refunds”.

This is a secure UK Government website. Do not use any other website to make the claim as they will be taking a chunk of your rebate. You can easily submit an application yourself for free.

You will need the bank account details of the person who registered the document.

The refund should be paid within 12 weeks. You can also apply by phone. Call 0300 456 0300 and choose option six.

You are not alone in being yet to claim. So far, only £12m has been paid out of an estimated £69m that has been set aside, according to recent figures that pensions firm Royal London obtained from the Ministry of Justice.

Only 194,713 individuals out of an estimated one million people affected had been refunded as of Feb 1 2019.

You have plenty of time to submit a claim. The deadline is Jan 31 2021.

Does this cover court of protection I wonder?

Court of Protection fees ?

Deputies: make decisions for someone who lacks capacity: Fees - GOV.UK

Current tarifs remain in force.

That’s £54 per power of attorney btw so if you’ve got a financial one and a welfare one could be over £100. Takes about 5 seconds to apply and if I remember right the turn around time was days. Easiest £90 odd I ever earned. Never had ppi, sadly.