Tell Martin Lewis about how your bank deals with a Power of Attorney

This week’s Moneysavingexpert weekly email includes a survey asking about people’s experiences with Banks in connection with using a Power of Attorney. I would like to encourage everyone to fill this in - especially if you have had a really bad experience like me.

2 Likes

I saw that and filed;

Santander - Great and easy to deal with

NatWest: Rubbish - shredded original documents even though I asked for them to be returned. Persuaded my Dad to open a new savings account over phone - one he did not need then refused to give me access unless I sent original documents AGAIN !!

1 Like

Excellent. Natwest need taking to task over the hassle they cause. They are the ones causing me all my problems - and when i did my survey i forgot to mention that they lost the last page of my mums original power of attorney form by leaving it on the photocopier.

2 Likes

Hi Helen, can you say where this is?

I’ve had several lots of £100 from HSBC, who don’t understand that someone with LD CANNOT write a POA as they lack capacity!!
My son’s other bank just won’t accept that I manage his money at all. Long story.

Mum did her POA before she lacked capacity. I didnt have a problem with managing her bank account as i had the power of attorney. If you havent got one it may be too late and you may have to go down the court of protection route to meet the banks demands. Dont know much about that but i think it is a bit expensive.

Helena - yes, the Court of Protection is a solid route to follow. The cost is higher than for a POA - about £500 the last time I looked - but as BB’s son is almost certainly on benefits, and it’s for him, there’ll likely be nothing to pay (have to apply for that though).

The big question for BB is time. Given that we parents of adults are of an age, there’s perhaps some benefit in considering whether someone else might be the better option - big brother, for example. Better still, apply for both to do it. That way BB has control but can show son the ropes and there’s a proper handover when the time comes.

The thing with the Court of Protection, though, is that everyone - home, social services, doctors - will be consulted on the suitability of whoever is applying to take the role on. Given the number of disputes, it may be that there would be some delays. I’m aware of one family that had to fight off a challenge from social services who wanted to take the role on instead. Not looking for trouble here, just thinking Boy Scout - be prepared…

Helena
I had to take the court of protection route for my late husband. It is costly, and rather intrusive. If I was concerned I would contact them for advice. I did get used to it, and filled in the expenditure form as I went along. It’s a sad situation, that hopefully these days people are more aware of the importance of power of attorney.

My son has severe learning difficulties, so can’t give his permission for me to act for him. However, I have always managed his benefits for him, as his DWP Appointee. This is a simple effective way of dealing with his money - and if I do it wrong at worst I could be imprisoned for seven years. His benefits are paid to me, not him, going into an account entirely separate from mine, but joint names so that if anything happens to me, it counts as his money, not part of my own estate. All entirely proper. He has £140 a week, the rest is kept in reserve to pay for larger items like furniture, white goods, holidays etc. I have lots of experience dealing with accounts, when working in a hospital in outback Australia many years ago, I turned it round from worst performing to best performing in two years, without even trying! So no one can ever claim I don’t manage my son’s money properly.