Hi I’m new to this group, my Mum was diagnosed with Altzimers 3 days ago. Although I kind of knew she had something, when the Nurse actually said she had Altzimers … I can’t put into words how it made me feel. I’m terrified I won’t be able to care for Mum and my Dad who has a blood condition. My sister comes up once a week to help out but otherwise I’m all on my own with this. I work in a school 4 days a week. I feel so very overwhelmed but guilty for feeling that way.

You have nothing to feel guilty about, that sort of diagnosis, however much you know there is something wrong, still takes time to come to terms with.
Don’t make any quick decisions about anything.

Don’t think you must care alone for your parents, there are lots of options to consider.
Tell us a bit more about mum and dad, and we will be able to make appropriate suggestions.
How old are they?
Do they own or rent their home?
Do they have over £46,000 savings between them (Yes/No)
Do you have Power of Attorney for your parents?
Do you have any brothers or sisters?
Do you have a partner or children?
What support does dad need at the moment?

Hi Victoria

Sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis, I can understand it’s a shock and you’re concerned about the future. As a forum ambassador I wanted to wish you a warm welcome to the forum and to highlight some of the options for connecting with fellow carers at all different stages of the caring journey, and for getting support from Carers UK should you need it. I’m sure there are fellow forum members who can give you some advice based on similar experiences to you

Carers UK are running online weekly meet ups for carers to take some time for themselves and chat to other carers. Feel free to join if you’d like to and there’s no pressure to share anything you don’t want to.

You can find information on how to register to our online meetups at the following pages:

Care for a Cuppa: Online meetups | Carers UK - the next online meet up is today (Monday 27 Sept), 15.00-16.00 with further sessions shown in that link. This social is a great way to have a little break if you are able to and spend some quality time talking to people who understand what you are going through right now.

Share and Learn: Share and Learn | Carers UK - these sessions range from creative writing activities to beginners Latin dance sessions.

There is also Carers UK’s helpline should you need advice or support - Our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)

Carers UK also provide information and guidance to unpaid carers. This covers a range of subjects including:

Benefits and financial support
Your rights as a carer in the workplace
Carers’ assessments and how to get support in your caring role
Services available to carers and the people you care for
How to complain effectively and challenge decisions.