(New style ESA) myself and also claim carers allowance

Hi to all, please could I kindly ask is it possible to claim (New style ESA) myself and also claim carers allowance myself.

I’m having to leave fulltime work to care for my partner who has a serious mental health condition and she is in receipt of PIP.

I would be claiming the New style ESA on behalf of myself as I’m currently unwell. I would then look to claim carers allowance as a carer for my partner.

Thank you kindly for any advice.

Hi Jon.

It’s going to be ESA + the Carers Premium Element OR Carers Allowance.
( Assuming the right " Flavour " of PIP for CA to kick in ? )

__

However you should still claim Carers Allowance, you will not receive payment, but you will be eligible for the Carer Premium in your ESA applicable amount.

Your present income (£125.05 ESA) will go up by the value of the Carer premium (£34.60) giving you £159.65 weekly ESA.

Strange … submit a claim for both … one is rejected , but a portion thereof is added to the other ?

ESA application :

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA): How to claim - GOV.UK

CA application :

Carer's Allowance: Make a claim - GOV.UK

Hi and thank you kindly. Is this for all (3) versions of ESA including the ‘New Style’ ESA as I’m unsure? I’m sorry I’m still trying to understand the complexity of the benefits system.

Theres New style ESA, contribution ESA and means tested ESA.

Thanks

Answer is yes you can, I was claiming both until my New style ESA claim exhausted earlier in month.

Question is, though, is it worth it? Difference between CA and New Style ESA is now 6.95 a week. So this is what you will get (as you have declare you are claiming CA) initially in assessment rate of your claim. For this extra pound a day need make claim, visit jobcentre, complete medical assessment form, get sick notes every month or two and attend a work capability assessment.

If you unwell enough to think you be placed in support group (i.e, totally unable to do any work related activity) after assessment I’d say it’s worthwhile as that will considerably more than CA.

If not (and I’d never qualify for support group even after tribunal, at my most mentally unwell only got into WRAG) then it’s a judgement call on need for money (6.95/wk) vs stress of whole process. Speaking personally I don’t think it’s worth it.