Hi,
my wife and I have been carers for her parents now for nearly 2 years. They are both 76 so not really elderly. Mother has Vascular Dementia, limited mobility and associated medial issues. Father has diabetes, high blood pressure and mobility issues.
both drink, father more so.
They returned from 13 years living in Bulgaria with health concerns and moved in with us due to lack of finances. They help us with monthly costs and the little capital they have to be used for home improvements. We provide a cooked meal every evening, and they sort out simple breakfast and lunch needs. They only use a kettle or microwave as usage of oven and hobs have been safety issues when we are not around.

We have managed to convert dining room and family bathroom in to ensuite double room for them on ground floor. Plan is to build an extension to provide a second room/lounge for them and separate lounge/diner for us with new bedroom en-suite. However, the quotes coming back mean we would have to take out a loan as well.

Issue is my Wife has an acoustic neuroma (diagnosed earlier this year) and we now need to make life decisions for her wellbeing and future needs. We both work full-time.

We are worried about the options and in particular future care and living arrangements for the parents. I believe their capital assets are below the threshold for funding themselves, but I dont know how to research options let alone discuss this with them.?
Any advice appreciated.

Hi Craig … welcome to the forum.

Your posting raises many issues … almost all interrelated.

To fully understand the various scenarios , time to sit down with outside experts … AGE UK :

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/

On the agenda :

Benefits / housing issues / wills / powers of attorney / current support for caring / Needs / Carer Assessments through your LAs / advance planning should a move
into residential care be the only option … to name a few.

Working full time … and also caring ? The pressure to reduce work in favour of more caring is all too apparent … that’s where the Needs and Carer assessments come in.

__

They returned from 13 years living in Bulgaria with health concerns and moved in with us due to lack of finances. They help us with monthly costs and the little capital they have to be used for home improvements. >

I have in mind a possible deprivation of assets problem down the line … one to bounce off AGE UK.

Income received being declared to the TaxMan … claiming any income related benefits ?

Health issues … I have assumed that CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare is NOT a factor here ???

A task needing an expert eye and analysis … strongly recommended.

Hi Craig, welcome to the forum.

As they were living in Bulgaria for so long, are they still entitled to any benefits or any UK pension?
If so, have they both claimed Attendance Allowance?

Before you do anything else, please ask Social Services to do a formal Needs Assessment for each of them.

Hi there! I’m very new here too. Just scouring the web for advice. I have been looking after my grandma for almost 3 years together with my family. But only recently we managed to get carers for her. I’m not as actively involved anymore, as I have an office job and a partner at home. But I figured this would be a helpful place to go to for advice for my parents, as well as share my own advice. My family and I did not want to put our grandma into a care home, as she is still quite a young oldie! She’s got a carer who comes in at home. My grandpa is still super well adn healthy. I guess that’s my story so far.

Hi Andrea, welcome to the forum.

If Andrea is your real name, I would suggest you change it so that you can’t be identified at all.

Would you like to tell us a bit more about your gran? How old is she and why does she need some help and support?

The care system can seem very difficult at first, so I like to check that everyone gets what they are entitled to. After all, you parents and grandparents have paid tax and National Insurance for years, so they are entitled to make a claim if needed.

Is your grandmother receiving Attendance Allowance? Is your mum claiming Carers Allowance?

At the top left of this page, next to the logo, you will see three lines with Quick Links next to it. If you click here, there are links to all sorts of information that might be useful.