Needing support/chat caring for husband

Can anyone point me in the direction of support groups online for me to chat, I have lived with my husband for 14 years, married for 3, he was disabled 15 years before I met him, I have no problems with the care (my job is a carer for a company) my frustrations are dealing with my husbands moods and finding a way to vent my frustrations without shouting and arguing with him. His disability has got worse over last 6 months and He is now in a wheelchair permanently and becoming more incontinent, he is struggling to accept this, which I understand, but takes his frustrations out on me. (He is 65, I am 56)I am becoming very low and depressed. Because his accident (which caused him to become disabled) involved a brain injury, he does quite irrational things and his memory is really bad he denies his actions. To be honest all I need to do is talk to someone to try and help with my feelings, and spoke to my doctor and they referred me to ITslk but have not heard anything from them. Any guidance would be gratefully appreciated.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
You sound very tired, when did you last have a break?
Iā€™ve been caring for my son, brain damaged at birth, for 42 years. I am nearing 70, tiredness is my biggest enemy.
Are you getting any help with your husband?
When did he last have a review for his brain injury?

I too am a unpaid carer for my husband, he has been in a wheelchair for 6 years , he wouldnā€™t persevere with prosthetic legs and is also obsessed with going to the toilet , he uses catheters to empty bladder ,but struggles with any thing else , he needs me for assistance with personal care which I accept ,but uses his need for the toilet to keep me with him, , I looked up narcissism and it described him to a T. Iam questioned continually as to where Iā€™m who am I talking to and all aspects of my movements , so bad I literally lose my temper and try and get my own space, although I can hear him shouting for me , no idea how to deal with our situation

Wendy, when did you last have a break?
I know this looks like an idiot question, but itā€™s very serious. You canā€™t keep being slave 24/7 for the rest of your life.
You need to go out, feeling free, some of the time. If you love him enough to care for him so much, shouldnā€™t he love you enough for a 2 week break???

Tried getting a break ,but unless he volunteers to go somewhere they canā€™t make him ,and he refuses, he canā€™t be cared for at home as they canā€™t make sure someone is here when needs the bathroom, ,i do see two very supportive friends an hour or two a week , but they canā€™t even come to me as he is very abusive and accuses them of taking me from him , I just go for walk or go out for an hour or two at most , we are both in ourseventies ,and his unreasonable behaviour has ruined our final years , I no longer even like him which makes it harder to suffer his abusive talk ,

Wendy, nobody has the right to abuse you. And you have the right to leave an abusive relationship. It may sound really scary because there are lots of unknowns, but to be honest, to me your situation is not something anyone should expect you to put up with - and anything, no matter how scary, would be better.

With you leading your own life, heā€™d have no choice but to accept others.

Think about it - what if a friend was in your situation? What would you say to them?

I donā€™t want to be a burden to anyone, but I donā€™t know how to cope with everything by myself. I knew I couldnā€™t do this on my own. Talking to someone like a therapist, family member, or close friend can really help. You donā€™t have to go through everything alone. There are ways you can get help with your feelings and get through this. wordle unlimited wordle

Jacqueline, may I ask how old you and your husband are?
Nothing is going to change for the better unless YOU do something.
If you ā€œno longer even like himā€ why do you stay?

Have you told your doctor how things are at home?
Considered counselling?

What would happen to him if you fell ill?
He would have no option other than to accept outside help - a nursing home would be the only option, given his need for help with the toilet.

Jaqueline, frustration is hard to deal with, and leads very easily to guilt.
My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers 2 years ago, and her behaviours and moods have changed and are still changing. She too has mobility problems, and anxieties about leaving the house, and about meeting people, which got worse during lockdowns. I am now a full time carer, and whatever goes wrong, I am to blame.

I often get told to take a break, but how? The support organisations in our are are running short staffed due to covid testing. There are also long waiting lists for help.
I wax offered a carer coming in for a couple of hours a week by one organisation, but what can I do in a couple of hours during the day, except go for a walk and worry if my wife is OK.

Weā€™ve been married for 40 years. Wherever Iā€™ve gone , weā€™ve gone together, shopped together, gone to cafes together, pubs
together, gone for walks together. So where does a 60 year old man go on his own for a couple of hours?.

I have found calling MIND, or carers uk, or the Dementia helplines useful, just for someone to talk to, when the frustration, and loneliness get a bit too much. Its either that or have a bloody good cry, and sometimes its both at the same time.

I can relate so much to all the things everyone here has said. As carers we cope with so much, both physically and mentally, often tolerating behaviour that we would not otherwise accept from that person in different circumstances. We make allowances, we overlook the nasty stuff, we forgive the (sometimes) unforgivable. But all that comes at a cost, to our own wellbeing.

Pointing out to our caree that if we werenā€™t around to look after them they would have to either: manage / accept outside help / go into a care home; is all very well, but we have to live with the fallout of being brave enough to say that. Sometimes the fear of the fallout outweighs the need to say how we feel, so we bottle it up, for an easier life. A person canā€™t have external support forced on them either, even if it would be in their best interests. Many people feel literally stuck in their living situation because there is no quick, easy fix.

Most people canā€™t ā€˜just leaveā€™ however much they might feel they want to. Intertwined lives, homes, finances canā€™t be undone just like that. Leaving a partner whom one has been close to and looked after for a long time is not an easy decision to take either practically, logically or emotionally.

I speak from personal experience, of having been both a carer to my Mum (now deceased) and my husband of over 3 decades, but now dealing with health issues of my own as well. Living with someone 24/7/365 without a break can take its toll on even the most patient and tolerant of people.

I donā€™t think there are any easy answers here. Looking online for group/peer support is one option. If one can afford private counselling, that is another outlet which might be helpful. Organisation helplines, specific to the health issue is another possibility. If really in despair, a call or email to Samaritans is another possibility as they are available 24/7 when most other places are shut.

I have tried combinations of all of the above at different times depending on the context and situation, all can be helpful. I would say just reach out to someone. No one can fix or make another personā€™s situation ok, but sometimes just sharing and not feeling so alone with it all, helps.

1 Like

really sympathize with your situation, I suppose you need some rest

I did everything possible to support the ten people in the family who needed me. When I was very, very Iā€™ll none of them lifted a finger to help me. No get well cards, no flowers, nothing! I wrote to mumā€™s GP, same practice as me, said I could no longer support mum, but her GP just ignored that!! One of the doctors even bully me to look after mum over Christmas! If you donā€™t stick up for yourself, no one else will.

Has anyone noticed that this thread has had a massive 17,000 views?

HI BB. I hadnā€™t noticed, but then I was following up on your report!

Dodgy post removed.

I havenā€™t visited the forum for months, but here I am, and the first thing I see is a message which I can really empathise with. Iā€™m unofficially carer to my husband whoā€™s 20 years older than me. Most things he can do for himself, but not everything. Arthritis makes some things hard for him. But I reach up to get things off high shelves for him and am accused of being offensive. Go to pick something up off the floor and get my head taken off. I was in hospital for a procedure yesterday, but today I got back to all the usual things - cooking breakfast and dinner, washing his hair, doing housework, spending a couple of hours doing something on the computer for him - and two HOURS of gardening this afternoon, which completely wiped me out. He canā€™t handle heavy machinery - itā€™s out of the question.
ā€˜Where are you? What are you doing?ā€™
ā€˜Cutting the grass and the hedgeā€™.
'Whatā€™s all this clutter on the floor?
ā€˜You know I have to take everything out of the cupboard to get at the lawnmower ā€¦ā€™ (Itā€™s been at the back of the cupboard for 27.5 years - he knows that!)
Then Iā€™m accused of being abusive. Really? I canā€™t answer a question without this nonsense.
He doesnā€™t have dementia. Could be on the autistic spectrum but not dementia.
I feel Iā€™m going to go insane myself soon - I try so hard to be helpful, and predict what he needs, and I donā€™t set out to be abusive, really I donā€™t. I struggle to be endlessly patient, but I think I manage most of the time. If Iā€™m annoyed, I take refuge in another room.
How do you handle being wrongly accused of abusing an old person? Iā€™m so upset now, Iā€™m almost tempted to report myself, but for what?!

1 Like

There could be many reasons he is being this way, frustration, depression, anger, resentment, fear of the age difference and you leaving, wanting to prove he can still do things, or heā€™s feeling vulnerable and frail and is trying to protect himself by saying such things or is over sensitive - I really couldnā€™t say but ageing affects some more than others and can manifest in many ways.
Is he picking up on your vibes and then you leaving the room?

Do you reassure him that you are trying to help? do you ask if he can manage to get that or can you reach it for him?
Are you ok with that? How are you doing there? Can you manage with that? Can I help you? Give me a shout if you need me to help.
Thatā€™s how I operate with my mum at times.

They can be determined to do things and donā€™t like being told they canā€™t - they have to find out they canā€™t do it and concede. Their mind wants to but forgets that their body canā€™t.

You could contact the helpline for leads to ask for advice about this.
Carers UK information and support
Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am ā€“ 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)

Short term memory can reduce with age, saw it in my dad and now in my mum, they were 19 years age gap.
Short term memory can be affected by change in circumstances, shock etc eg you going for a procedure could have unbalanced something.

Itā€™s all just things that I have picked up with my parents, elderly relatives and friends parents.

Tell us if he has had a needs assessment done or not.

No. He doesnā€™t accept that I am a carer. Iā€™m just a wife - heā€™s in total denial. But the GP says I am, so thatā€™s how I see it!

There could be many reasons he is being this way, frustration, depression, anger, resentment, fear of the age difference and you leaving, wanting to prove he can still do things, or heā€™s feeling vulnerable and frail and is trying to protect himself by saying such things or is over sensitive - I really couldnā€™t say but ageing affects some more than others and can manifest in many ways.
Is he picking up on your vibes and then you leaving the room?

Do you reassure him that you are trying to help? do you ask if he can manage to get that or can you reach it for him?
Are you ok with that? How are you doing there? Can you manage with that? Can I help you? Give me a shout if you need me to help.
Thatā€™s how I operate with my mum at times.

They can be determined to do things and donā€™t like being told they canā€™t - they have to find out they canā€™t do it and concede. Their mind wants to but forgets that their body canā€™t.

You could contact the helpline for leads to ask for advice about this.
Carers UK information and support
Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am ā€“ 6pm or you can contact us by email (> advice@carersuk.org> )

Short term memory can reduce with age, saw it in my dad and now in my mum, they were 19 years age gap.
Short term memory can be affected by change in circumstances, shock etc eg you going for a procedure could have unbalanced something.

Itā€™s all just things that I have picked up with my parents, elderly relatives and friends parents.

Lots of sensible suggestions there, thank you Breezey. Iā€™m afraid to say, saying ā€˜Iā€™m trying to be helpfulā€™ is a red rag to a bull. It infuriates him. ā€˜Can you manage that?ā€™ is like asking to have my head taken off. Iā€™ve always said that old people get more like themselves as they get older, but getting more critical and more difficult is very hard to handle for the relative on the receiving end! Iā€™ve tried ā€˜Please donā€™t be unkind, Iā€™m only trying to helpā€™ - but that just gets accusations of ME becoming more objectionable and abusive and difficult with age!

You have my sympathy my husband is 23 years older and I can relate so much to your post. Sadly any love has died as the abuse will break the strongest. He too does not accept I am his ā€˜Carerā€™ yet puts me on to deal with GP calls as he is very deaf. I get the ā€˜total denialā€™. Do you think they are so used to being the boss that they are terrified to lose even a tiny bit of control.

I do not know your finances but have you thought about leaving? Only you can make that decision and counselling to look at options would be one suggestion.

I donā€™t have any answers or expertise but it seems to me that he is deflecting his fears onto you, the last part of your reply seems very telling - but that just gets accusations of ME becoming more objectionable and abusive and difficult with age!

Please do contact the helpline and have a look around in Age UK