My Husband won't get a social work Assesment. For six months

We have had a telephone assessment from social services but when I rang to see when someone is coming they said about six months.
How are we expected to cope with no break is beyond me.
Just want a bit of time to myself.
Don’t think it will ever happen.

There are no legal time limits within which an assessment should be carried out which can lead to problems with delay in assessments being carried out.

The law says that where there are no set time limits for compliance then the matter should be done within a ‘reasonable time’. What is reasonable will then depend on the facts of the case and it may be possible to make a complaint against a Trust for unreasonable delay or even to complain to the Ombudsman on the grounds of maladministration, if the delay is excessive.

( Eh , excuse me , squire , what do the words REASONABLE and EXCESSIVE mean in PLAIN ENGLISH … 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 months … a year ??? )

Most Trusts have adopted a priority scheme for assessments and will have criteria to measure how quickly you need to be assessed. However, there are often long delays in obtaining assessments.

As a guide, Trusts should ensure that older people with continuing care needs should:

Wait no longer than eight weeks for assessment to be completed
Have the main components of their care needs met within a further twelve weeks

Failure to Assess

It would be very difficult to know how to meet your needs without first assessing what those needs are. Therefore, any refusal of a request for an assessment for services could leave the Trust open to litigation.

Hardly any consultation , Denise ?

A request for an URGENT Needs Asessment , perhaps … would that need to join the existing queue ?

Even a complaint to that Onbudsman … three months backlog there as I type !

The Care Act !

Yep … it’s on the statute book … but not in the real world ???

Trouble is , it’s like the wild west out there … post code lotteries only add to the mayhem … and body count.

The Ombudsman has said that they should be completed within a month.

Denise, the LA will have a dedicated Complaints Officer at their HQ. Have a look at the LA website. In Hampshire, I can complaint to Adult Services online. Also ring the Director of Social Services office.

At least a whole host of " Freedom of Information " requests have been launched across the whole of the UK … for the average waiting time within an LA.

I bet his / hers fingertips are really sore !

No news of a summary of the findings out there … so far.

If ever published , short odds on them making " Depressing " reading … the word SCANDALOUS also springs to mind … depending
on whether you read a broadsheet or a tabloid ?

Depressing isn’t it?
He was promised continuing OT on discharge from hospital. Three months later no news so I rang the ward to see what HD happened. The referral was never made bt they sorted that out. quickly.
Most of the time you cope with this caring lark but sometimes you just feel you are on your own. Oh well Onwards and upwards.


Oh well Onwards and upwards

Now , that would be a very welcomed change of direction for most reading this thread.

I truly hope so , Denise.

I suppose I regard myself lucky compared to many.
My Husband had an Hypoxic brain injury but he is mobile and there is potential for improvement.
I have put my all in to continuing his rehabilitation at home and get great joy from his improvements but it has come at the cost of taking over my life. We all know that one but at least I don’t have to do every task for him.
It would be great to be able to go out for a few hours without having to constantly worry what he is up to but have had no support from social services is such a cop out.
I miss my job and having to cope on little money and I moan a lot :grin:

Denise, are you sure you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to?


I miss my job and having to cope on little money and I moan a lot

Now , most readers will relate to that one compared with the last one ?

Time to unleash that trusty old online benefits calculator ?

A financial m.o.t. … everything out there currently being claimed ?

Even a potential Council Tax discount ?

How Council Tax works: Who has to pay - GOV.UK

We get housing benefit but that is a hundred pounds short as we live in a two bed and only allowed a one bed allowance.
Husband gets the limited capability for work and have been to an assessment for Pip but awaiting result.
We have had an allowance for the shortfall of £100 till March but they expect us to find another property after that.
Had no intention of moving house when my husband had just came out of hospital but that will be the next hurdle.
Just have to remind myself he is so lucky to be alive and this is the price we have to pay. We love our home but needs must.

The dreaded Bedroom tax.

First time mentioned by a poster on the forum … unless I missed it or prior to my coming back from the shadows in September 2016 … just shows how many of the 7.8 million know of this forum … or even CUK.

There , you have my sympathy Denise … tens of , it not hundreds of , horror stories out there about that one.

( Hull … over 6.300 registered to downsize , less than 100 properties now remaining to downsize to … mainly 1 / 2 bedroomed ones. )

Might be worthwhile sounding out Shelter even now … there is time but that is limited.

Not much more I can add on that problem … at this stage.

Don’t lose sight of that calculator !

Yes it is worth mentioning that in times of hardship you can apply to your council… Not the DWP for help with the short fall in rent but they don’t offer permanent help.

The Major of Liverpool would fully agree with that one , Denise … posting a while ago on the main HOUSING thread.

In two months , the whole emergency budget for the year was in threat of being used up.

Only way out was to consider raising Council Tax … and thus pushing those in arrears and / or financial difficulties further into the mire.

Suppose we are lucky living in a small fairly affluent town so they had a bit of money spare.

Trouble is … that Bedroom tax … it applies nationwide.

If an alterative property turns out to be the only , viable , option … and , in more prosperous areas , the BTL market will be out of reach ( The usual Housing Allowance … then rents in the manor … how big will the gap be ? … equation ) … only other option
may well be the LA or Housing Association … and their housing list … and the prospect of moving away from the manor to secure a suitable property ?

Very similar housing issues on another thread … so far explored little deeper … albeit London … and a BTL tenant :

Time to tentatively explore those avenues … on a " Just in case " need basis ?

Apologies if you already know this, Denise, but if your husband is successful in claiming PIP then you might be able to claim Carers allowance (depending on any income you’re getting).

Thanks for all replies.
Yes I am aware of the carers payment but awaiting decision on Pip and I’ve read so many nightmare stories about Pip I am not holding my breath.
When my husband became ill I did not have power of attorney but thankfully with the help of a speech therapist at the hospital I was eventually able to apply for it. That meant months of no access to my husband’s bank account. UC took the money paid into the bank (a couple of small pensions) as income. I explained I had no access to it but they knocked that off my payment. They didn’t care.
That is finally sorted but God knows what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for my children’s support.
I am getting more used to dealing with all this now but it has been a tough road.

Denise … any UC problem as you described … only one place for it … the Carers UK Advice Team … contact details follow , best
by email :

I assist 5 near neighbours with their UC blog entries and other problems … all on zero hour contracts … I’m the only one with Internet access and a rudimental knowlege of the Beast … occasionly bounce off a contact in the CAB … he owes me quite a bit over the past two decades … at times , it’s a couple of days before an answer comes back … even then it’s a best guesstimate … and that’s the CAB !

Not unknown for the DWP to bounce something off the CAB when their system goes down … you couldn’t make it up !

Nothing is straightforward with UC !

Hi Denise

One word. Complain. I am sure if threaten to write to the director of social services and whichever of your local councillors are responsible for adult social care you will miraculously be seen sooner. I have learnt this the hard way. I am sure people are prioritised based on how loud they shout. Utterly wrong. but give it a go.