Is carers allowance classed as work

Hi Im new to all this last nov my husband had a stroke and need care ,we have gone from both working to neither working ,so we have got to claim universal credit he already gets pip ,what I need to know is ,does the 35+ hours spent caring for him class as work ,will I myself have to sign on or does it mean I’m in work ,cus I’m not available to work as I care 24 hours for him ,it’s all so confusing ,sorry for the long message

Hi Karen.

Caring classified as " Work ? "

If only but … no … only if one is employed as a carer … a paid care worker , not a family / kinship carer.

In the situation so described , an application for Carers Allowance is the only option … provided that the flavour of PIP paid
to your husband is of the correct variety … and no barriers to claiming Carers Allowance :

Carer's Allowance: How it works - GOV.UK
__

Carer’s Allowance may be available to someone who looks after you.

If you are getting the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), your carer looks after you for 35 hours per week and your carer earns less than £120 per week, they may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance of £64.60 per week.

An online benefits calculator to ensure that ALL benefits / allowances out there are currently being claimed :
https://www.entitledto.co.uk/