I am new to this group.Can a parent be a paid carer during C

Hi
I am new to this group. My son 9 years has Autism, LD, SPD.
Had to give up my job and care for him full time despite highly skilled PhD, my son don’t allow me to work.
I have been searching for a PA for him since 6 months, but due to covid spread no one approached for PA job.
Can I or my husband can become PA to our own son and get paid from his Direct Payment?
Or if you can suggest any charities those support carers.
Many thanks

I’ve done a quick google search and it appears you can.

I still think you would need to get as much information as you can. It sounds a bit complicated.

From the above link …

Can I employ a friend or family member? Back to top
Your personal assistant or communicator guide may be someone that you know. This could be a family member or a friend.

They should not be someone living in the same household except in exceptional circumstances.

You may choose to advertise for a suitable person.

Bear in mind that if you employ a family member who was already acting as your carer on an unpaid basis, they may no longer receive any related benefits that they claimed, such as carer’s allowance. They would also lose access to any support services that they were receiving from their local authority as an unpaid carer.

The whole point of introducing Direct Payments was to help people who needed care have the opportunity of choosing who cared for them “including friends and family”. Councils are “fettering their discretion” by blanket bans. It’s something I’m currently up against too. I’m not on any benefits other than my pension, I want recognition of the fact that I am the person my 42 year old son wants to care for him some of the time. He’s been to steam rallies since he was born, 6 weeks old when we went to the first one, I had a nappy mountain in the corner of our caravan. SSD keep saying my son’s carers can support him, but they won’t even check his bicycle before a ride. I have over 40 years of experience with steam engines, even have awards from the National Traction Engine Trust. Yet they won’t pay me, my son wants me, he’s told me he doesn’t want to go to any more shows with staff as they haven’t got a clue about the engines or their crew, who all know my son. They’ve known him since he was in his pram!!!

Hi Anu

Welcome to our forum, I just wanted to let you know we are currently running a series of online weekly meet ups for carers to get together and chat informally. You can sign up for the Care for a cuppa session here: Online meetups | Carers UK We run them every Monday afternoon at 3pm for an hour or so. Its a great way to meet other carers. There’s no pressure to share any information Anu that you’re not comfortable with.

We are also now running a weekly Share and Learn sessions as well, a mixture of fun and relaxed online sessions where visiting speakers who share tips and skills on a range of topics - please have a look at the link and see if one grabs your attention. Share and Learn | Carers UK
A lot of our members have said how interesting they’ve found the sessions.

It would be great to see you there.
with best wishes
Ingrid

Hi Ingrid,

Thank you for your warm welcoming post.

I would love to join in and get enlightened with other parents valuable experience.
But 3pm I have to pick kids from school.
Seems very difficult after 3pm.
I would try my best to join in.

You are doing a great work, gathering all "parents in need " together, otherwise we are so engrossed in our parental life can’t see beyond.
Many Thanks
Anu