Husband is my carer and work being very awkward

I’m only 33, had to leave work due to them not helping with any adjustments. I have rheumatoid arthritis and two young children. My husband works for the same organisation and now they are being really awkward. Won’t let him take any more time off for emergencies, won’t let him do any working from home although he can and others in the office are allowed to.
We are both getting a needs assessment. His flexible working has been denied even though there’s no business reason why.
We are just at our wits end.
Any advice?

I think that they may be in breach of the Disability Rights Act, whereby a Carer is counted as disabled by association - but I’m not 100% sure so wold suggest you run this scenario before the Carers UK Adviceline team

Carers UK provides information, support and advice to carers. The information and advice we provide covers a range of subjects relating to caring including:

• Benefits and tax credits
• Carers employment rights
• Carers assessments and how to get support
• Services available to carers
• How to complain effectively and challenge decisions

You can email us at > > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

You can also get hold of useful information and support online.
• Visit the Help and Advice sections of our website where we have lots of information and downloadable factsheets on the topics people ask us about most. >
• New to caring? Our Upfront guide will take you straight to the information you need to know. It takes only a few minutes to complete. >

Also check out this factsheet from our main website regarding Work & Career specifically

If they didn’t make reasonable adjustments for you, that amounts to “Constructive Dismissal” and if you took them to an Employment Tribunal, they could have to pay you compensation. Similarly, if they made your husband give up work, the same applies. The best way of getting more information is to contact ACAS. I used them a long time ago, very helpful.

Also suggest your husband discusses this with his trades union representative. It does not seem right that he is being treated less fairly than others.

Asking your employer for changes to help you if you’re disabled - Citizens Advice.

Your both have rights.