How do I get recognised as a carer?

Hi, I gave up work a year ago as my elderly mother in law needs a lot of help due to health issues. She’s 90 and requires lots of support to remain in her own home.
I don’t claim carers allowance because it would affect her pension credit, and of course she is my husbands mum, she is frail
and has many health issues.
My GP practice won’t register me as a carer because I don’t claim carers allowance, I’ve pointed out that this is a close family member I care for but they say I need evidence. Not sure how to ‘prove’ I am an unpaid carer.
I find it a bit upsetting really, my mother in law needs a lot of support, my husband and I look after her because she is family and at 90 she isn’t going to be around forever.
We are not registered at the same GP surgery as she lives 8 miles away from me.

Hi & welcome Karen

I don’t claim carers allowance because it would affect her pension credit

Karen what age are you. Where did you get the above information.

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/effect-on-other-benefits#:~:text=Carer’s%20Allowance%20does%20not%20count%20towards%20the%20benefit%20cap.&text=If%20you%20get%20Pension%20Credit,other%20benefits%20will%20be%20affected.

Does this apply…

Effect on the benefits of the person you care for
When you claim Carer’s Allowance, the person you care for will stop getting:

a severe disability premium paid with their benefits
an extra amount for severe disability paid with Pension Credit, if they get one
They might also stop getting reduced Council Tax. Contact their local council to find out if this affects them.

Are you connected to any local carer support groups in your area.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/get-support/local-support

It might be possible that a support group could give you a letter. Stating your are a carer.

I’m just 60. I’m not interested in being paid.
My issue is that there must be thousands of people who are in the same position as me, claiming carers allowance isn’t for everyone.
My mother in law won’t be here forever and my hubby is her only child. She refuses to consider ever going into a care home and it’s not what we want for her. She isn’t a burden to us.
Do people really expect carers to claim carers allowance which will reduce the amount of money being paid to the person needing care? It’s actually a rather insulting amount of money anyway - around £67 for someone providing 35 hours of care per week???

The GP is wrong in asking for evidence. Contact the CUK helpline.

The question of age was related to if you were of retirement age. This gives people using the forum more information. In order to help you further with possible other options.

There wasn’t a suggestion of

My mother in law won’t be here forever and my hubby is her only child. She refuses to consider ever going into a care home and it’s not what we want for her. She isn’t a burden to us.

This does work for a lot of people. And some people provide 24 x 7 days for this amount.

Do people really expect carers to claim carers allowance which will reduce the amount of money being paid to the person needing care? It’s actually a rather insulting amount of money anyway - around £67 for someone providing 35 hours of care per week???

Everyone’s situation is different.

The government pays someone who lives alone more money if they are disabled, because they will need to pay others to help them more.

If they have someone who cares for them, that person can claim CA if they do that work.

Whilst to some people CA isn’t worth bothering to claim, to others, that’s a crucial amount of money.

In terms of carer recognition, the issue really isn’t about money, it’s about whether someone disabled is being cared for.