Claiming carers allowance for looking after someone not on benefits

I am currently a carer for my mother and have been for a number of years. I had not heard of carers allowance before but I am looking at claiming it. However my mother does not claim any benefits nor would she try even if she could. She is in a financial position where she does not need this. Does this mean that the carers benefit can not be claimed? I meet all the critera apart from that. I thought I read some where that it could be claimed with some information provided through the Dr’s but can not find this any where so maybe this has now changed. Any help assistance would be greatly appreicated.

1 Like

Hi @dryrain, welcome to the forum, you are entitled to claim it unless your mum wants a firm of carers to do the job instead of you. If in doubt contact the carers helpline for further information and advice.
Helpline and other support | Carers UK.
All the best

1 Like

Hi @dryrain

Welcome to the forum. You can only apply for carers allowance if the person you care for also claims for a relevant benefit (usually DLA or PIP for those working age, or Attendance Allowance at pension age, but there are a few others). My father never claimed any welfare benefits his whole life and was reluctant to claim Attendance Allowance too but we persuaded him as he was doing it for my benefit (so that I could claim some money after giving up working to care for him) and he accepted that. So maybe try that approach with your mum?

A full list of eligibility is here Carer's Allowance: Eligibility - GOV.UK but it’s not means tested at all, and can be helpful for all those little additional costs that add up. All the best.

Does mum pay you? Is she mentally OK? Receiving her state pension?