Home care

Hi everyone.
I’m brand new to the forum and just looking for pointers.

I currently care for someone in her own home. But I’d like to look into looking after someone in my own home, what are the pros and cons and where do I even start?

Any advice would be welcome
Thank you

Hi Deborah,
the members of this forum care for family members and friends, though a few have worked as care workers too juggling care of their loved one and doing paid care too!

You are best to talk to people who have experience of doing what you are considering. Caring for someone in your own home - means 24 hour care, even if you care for someone who can go out on their own, you’d be on call in case there was a problem.

Melly1

Dear Deborah _2106
Hi I hope you are ok and I would like to wish you a welcome to the Carers UK Forum. Like Melly said that the carers on the Forum will be able to provide you with support and help you need. You will find the answers from them. You can also read previous posts on the Forum to see if any match your needs. I hope you will find the Forum helpful and beneficial to you.
You are not alone as a carer which I am sure that many on the Forum will understand exactly how you feel and offer you support like I mentioned to you before. We know caring can be very lonely and that the pandemic has made caring responsibilities more challenging and many carers have been socially restricted and unable to attend social groups etc. I know this is not officially what help you are looking for but I thought it might be worth mentioning in case you need social support for your caring role.
Carers UK are running two online weekly meet ups for you to socialize with and you can find the information on how to register at Care For A Cuppa:-Online meetups | Carers UK. Then there is Share and Learn:-Share and Learn | Carers UK.
Now here is the bit which might be of a more interest for you. Carers UK have a telephone number you can phone up about your caring role and they might be able to help you with finding answers to the problems you have mentioned on the Forum. The telephone number is: 0808 808 7777 and the number is open Monday-Friday from 9am-6pm. You can give them a ring and see if they can help you. The email address if you prefer to contact them via email is (advice@carersuk.org).
They provide information and guidance to unpaid carers. This covers:-
-Benefits And Financial Support
-Your Rights As A Carer In The Workplace
-Carers Assessments And How To Get Support In Your Caring Role
-Services Available To Carers And The People You Care For
-How To Complain Effectively And Challenge Decisions.
They should be able to help you with your problems that you have mentioned before.
Best Wishes
Kristie

Hi Deborah

Are you referring to something like …

If so look at your Local Authority web site.

Hello. I would not recommend that you take someone into your home. So you’re done and you’re back in your comfort zone, and if you take home the person you need to look after, that will be your 24/7 assignment. I understand that you want to help, but losing your peace of mind and feeling uncomfortable at home is not the best solution.