Hi everyone

Hi everyone

I’m claire 34 from hull east Yorkshire. I have two boys who are 10 and 7. My 10 year old has severe autism, duplicate chromosone 22q11.2, hypermobility and is non verbal. He attends a special school.

I know it’s a long time off yet but I’m just wondering what happens when he leaves full time education? Do I carry on been his carer but also get a job as tax credits will stop? I’m currently doing some courses through distance learning but just worried about the future. I think he will need a high level of care, but just wanted to see if anyone else has been through similar.

Many thanks


Hi Claire and welcome,

He could go to a specialist residential college and from their move into a small group home or supported living; funding permitting, or he could stay at home and go to day college and/or a day service during the day. You will still be able to claim carer’s allowance, but I don’t know about other benefits, you would need to look at a benefits calculator. What sort of courses have you been doing?


Hi Claire & welcome

It’s never to early to be thinking ahead. It’s doubly important for families with special needs children.

an education, health and care (EHC) plan - a plan of care for children and young people aged up to 25 who have more complex needs