Help with cooking

My wife, for whom I care used to be a cook in our business before we retired. Now I cook but she always wants to help.
This can be difficult and a source of friction. She wants to cater for several people but there is only us two. any suggestions would be very welcome.

Hi Derek, Are you talking about cooking for the two of you at home? Do you think it’s that she needs other interests and doesn’t know what to do to keep her busy? Is it something else?

Are there groups your wife could join that could benefit from her cooking skills? Is there a food panty nearby, a soup kitchen, or a group that has bake sales? My local hospice had a small kitchen that prepared and baked cakes and sandwiches.

Please tell us a bit more about your wife, her interests and abilities.

In any week I may cook for one, two, three or four, as I’m widowed with 2 sons and a grandson.
Eldest son says I have too many saucepans, but you need different pans depending on what you are cooking and how many you are cooking for.
I hate to see wasted food, so always do the right amount of meat, and vary the amount of veg. Any left over veg. left on the kitchen table usually “disappears” during the evening

Can you give us some examples of what she wants to do, and you don’t.
If she finds it better to cook for four than two, then cook it, and freeze the half you don’t want immediately.

Your wife could volunteer even if she has disabilities. Lots of charities who provide meals. Welcome anyone who wants to help.

Salvation army provide meals.

I was going to suggest the same as Bowlingbun :slight_smile:

I live on my own but still like to cook a “proper” meal - especially casseroles and stews. So I usually cook enough for at least 4 portions; have one portion the day it’s cooked and then freeze the remainder in individual portions.

Hello and welcome!

What about cookery lessons for disabled people? In the flat, I do most of the cooking but have asked for help. My cared for person helps by mixing stuff, counting out ingredients plus reading the recipe out loud too. How are her cooking skills? Do you have any cookbooks or not? It is always good to learn cookery skills.

Is she disabled? I also am Christian so I have prepared dishes for church parties in the past. See if you can find any good local cookery schools.

Thanks to you all for your replies.

My wife has dementia and although she wants to help, her confusion results in the need to go through with each activity together.
However sometimes I get told that there are better ways of doing something. I get her to prepare vegetables for cooking which she can do as long as it does not require too much strength.

When she says I will lay the table, this can result in five places being laid for the two of us. My simple remedy is ti take the extra places off without any comment which seems too work.

She has said that she would like to show young people how to some basic things like make pastry, cook potatoes, make a cake and to cook eggs.
I am sure there are schools locally who may welcome this offer so I will keep you posted as to how and if it happens.

old thread, locked.