Help with being classified as a carer

MY GP says i cannot be classified as a carer because i dont receive carers allowance.
I run my business from home and look after my mother and father as well, so i dont qualify for carers allowance. Is this correct?
Thank for any help

What sort of care do your parents need?

Provided they need support (this could be personal care/ help with attending appointments / shopping/ mobility / household chores /finances / help with medication/ emotional support), your GP is incorrect.

Your GP needs education.

Melly1

Your GP is talking rubbish, there are thousands of unpaid carers who do not get carers allowance, me being one of them.

If you are looking after elderly disabled or ill people who cannot manage without your help, then you are a carer.

Copied from an NHS Website

“A carer is anyone, including children and adults who looks after a family member, partner or friend who needs help because of their illness, frailty, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction and cannot cope without their support.”

Your GP should be helping and advising you with your carer role.

The real issue here is whether or not your parents need help with daily living, washing, bathing, food prep., cooking, shopping etc.?
If they do, then they are classed as disabled, as such they each, individually, qualify for a disability benefit, Attendance Allowance, if they are over 65.
If either of them has dementia, then that person is exempt from Council Tax.
If caring for them has a significant effect on your life, then yes, you ARE a carer.
Have your parents had a Needs Assessment from Social Services?
Have you had a Carer Assessment from Social Services?
Have you sorted out Power of Attorney?

Take no notice of that daft GP. They often don’t know anything about roles, benefits etc. I was trying to get Fast Track NHS Continuing Health Care for my Mum and spoke to the GP and he said he knew nothing about it, yet the clue is in the wording NHS! I copied off a load of stuff for him, highlighted most important parts and filled in as much of the form as I could, he then completed his part and she got it!!

You ARE a carer albeit an unpaid one at the moment.

Your GP is a buffoon.

You won’t get Carers Allowance if you earn over £128 per week.
You won’t get Carers Allowance if you’re in receipt of State Pension
You won’t get Carers Allowance unless your caree is in receipt of one of several benefits, including:- PIP/ DLA / AA

None of this means you are not a Carer.