Help regarding Carers allowance

Hello All

Iv had DLA for17 years but always high mobility ad low care Now. Upgraded to pip last Xmas and. Ended up with high mobility and lower care which is or was mid in the old DLA. Which means wee can apply for the Carers allowance. I mean.my wife has. Been doing more than is required for the last 15 years as I is so wee was ok. On that But we was unsure if we would looose more than we would gain…

For instance I’m on ESA and in the support group nd I know we will loose between £30 - £36 out of my weekly ESA money if/when my wife gets the Carers allowance of just over £76 leaving us with between £30 - £36 extra. But then we though what about our housing and council tax benefits. Will they take any more off what we have left after they’ve already taken about half off the ESA payments?

So if. Anyone could help or advise with the above please. We would be very thankful. Also while we are asking is there anything else we ought to or you think we need to know before or during the application. We had originally going to do the application last March but all this Corvid 19 mess exploded and Iv been soo scared. Anyway we are going to get on with it now and. The first question we have is where it asks How long have you been caring for the person what should I put ? Do I put the. 18 years ago when I first did it. Or the date when we got the new pip benefit or 3 months ago or what. Because I know you can get some backdated allowance but am unsure how much

Anyway thank you and best regards OsH

Hi OshB5,

welcome to the forum.

Try this benefit calculator https://www.entitledto.co.uk to see what you are able to claim.

If it doesn’t give you the information you need, contact the helpline:

You can email us at > adviceline@carersuk.org > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

Melly1

Thank you melly1

Regards OsH