Help doesn’t exist

Mum has officially moved into her property, however we seem to have been given a load of false promises and unanswered questions.

The property is fine. Mum has settled in nicely.
I’m absolutely exhausted, I was forced to take time off work. My boss said to do the move and take a few days off to rest. Didn’t stop moving until 7pm on Sunday night and I had work first thing in the morning.

My anemia is currently playing up really bad and I seem to stand up and nearly pass out. Can’t afford to get the supplements and can’t get an appointment with the NHS.

It’s cost us an absolute arm and leg, but once again it seems to be okay that a fully working pays for everything because I earn millions of pounds right? Wrong.

I’ve helped mum with around £1000. All of it is out of my wages and I’ve been left with very little. FAMILY HELP OUT RIGHT!!!

We were told we would get money back from universal credit - wrong!
We were told we could get help with new white goods- well we could but there’s a wait of months.
We were told we could get money to pay for the overlap in rent. Council said it would take 5 days- currently day 14 nothing.
We were told the council could get us community support grants for ‘essential items’ applications are taking months.

Just spoke to a financial support person and they said the only thing they can do is advise I go to the council for the Household support fund. I’ve done this, I’m a highly worked person on minimum wage who pays full council tax and income tax, as if I would get anything. The council have stated they won’t help working single people as it’s not in their priority group.

I can’t access local food banks because I am working.

I’m supposed to just manage my finances better.

There is no help, and no work won’t help me either. I’ve been promised pay rises that don’t come for years. I’m too important and competent to be paid fairly.

I’ve spoken to various support services in terms of help with costs and frankly help doesn’t exist like they say it does.

There’s too many posters advertising support that doesn’t exist, it’s just crappy signposting.

@Coolcar98 the system sounds broken.

Food banks DO help people who are working and on a low wage. You will need a referral or voucher though. Citizen’s advice can do this.

There may be a social supermarket / community shop in your area where food is very cheap.

There might be a food cycle scheme in your area too:

However, you lent money to your Mum and she needs to pay it all back. It won’t help you out of your deficit this month - but a repayment agreement needs to be set up and the money paid by standing order into your account as soon as her benefits go in, so that she doesn’t get a chance to spend it before she has paid you.

2 Likes