Hello!

Hi there, I’m Debbie and I’m new to the forum. I care for my 87 year old Dad who has stage 4 COPD. He is getting more and more in need of me being around all the time so I’m trying to make the decision about giving up work to be his full time carer. I’m willing to do it as at the minute juggling a job and caring for him is having a huge detrimental effect on my mental health. I guess the question I’m asking is whether I would be eligible for any benefits like universal credit? I can’t afford not to have any money coming in but can afford to take the pay cut to go from working to universal credit, it would be hard but better for both of us. Thanks for any advice you can give

Before you give your job up you need to have a needs assessment for Dad and you.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/needs-assessment

Hello Debbie

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your situation is becoming more difficult to juggle, before you make a final decision I’d suggest you ring our helpline on 0808 808 7777 Mon- Fri 9am - 6pm and they’ll be able to tell you what you can expect in terms of benefits .

It might also be helpful to download our ‘Looking after someone’ guide from our support page and check what kind of practical help you’re entitled to for your Dad’s care:

Best wishes

Ingrid